Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2010, 08:43 AM

Default bounce to disk bass heavy

hi,
seems to be a difference with the mix after bounce to disk. the bass and kick drum are much louder. have searched the forums, the topic has come up but seemingly with no resolution.
have heard that recording the mix to a stereo track may be an option, dont know how to do that. any input would be most helpful.
hd2 osx 10.6 pt8.03
thanks
Old 02-28-2010, 09:46 AM

Default Re: bounce to disk bass heavy

easiest way:
route all your track-outputs (audio, instruments, aux ...) to a bus, then select this bus in a stereo-audiotrack as an input + record - that´s it

a little more complex but more comfortable:
route your tracks to a 'main-bus' (for clarity it´s better to rename your record-bus with right-clicking on the bus-name, again you can define in the I/O Setup under the output-tab that newly created tracks are automatically routed to your 'main-bus'), select this bus as input for a newly created aux-track (maybe also named 'main-bus') and route the output of this track to another bus, f.e. renamed 'bounce'. Again this bus as input for a stereo-track (...named as 'Bounce') and route the output of this track to your main-interface output (Analog 1-2 f.e.)

then you can insert plugs on your 'main-bus' aux-track for adding mastering fx like eq and/or compression to your mixdown

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 AM

I've encounered a similar experience particularly on bounces that convert the file to a different file type or sample rate/depth. (I thought it was just me.)
Old 02-28-2010, 11:46 AM

While I wouldn't disagree with your assessment of bounces, is it possible that they way you are listening to the bounce after it's done has something to do with it?

Just a thought....
Old 02-28-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaglance View Post
hi,
seems to be a difference with the mix after bounce to disk. the bass and kick drum are much louder. have searched the forums, the topic has come up but seemingly with no resolution.
have heard that recording the mix to a stereo track may be an option, dont know how to do that. any input would be most helpful.
hd2 osx 10.6 pt8.03
thanks
Hi,

Make sure your bounce source is set to 1/2. possibly you have it set to the mix bus and some things are routed directly to the left right outputs and not routed through the bus.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:04 PM

thanks for all the replies, listen to bounced track, with itunes, also quicktime and another. theyre all bass heavy. will try suggestions by tonwurm and crizdee .....
Old 02-28-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Talbot View Post
While I wouldn't disagree with your assessment of bounces, is it possible that they way you are listening to the bounce after it's done has something to do with it?

Just a thought....
I would say more like the way he's listening before the bounce...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 02-28-2010, 03:59 PM

Just a thought, but you could try importing your mix and seeing what happens when you invert the phase and run it side by side with the mix running live. You may be able to detect what isn't being bussed correctly from this.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:44 PM

Chances are the low end is also in your original mix as well.

It's been proven that bounce to disc and recording back in null perfectly, which means there's no difference.

Are you noticing it when you play it away from the studio?

The low end bump could be caused by inaccuracies in your monitoring environment, meaning it sounds good in that room but doesn't translate else where. This is common in small untreated rooms with parallel walls and bookshelf speakers. Bass is the hardest thing to get right. Maybe look in to bass traps and absorption of first order reflections.

Tom W

www.waltzmastering.com
Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 PM

It is something you are doing. . . BTD sounds essentially the same. I admit I have read many debates saying otherwise, but those with that opinion never support their findings a proper evaluation method or any true A/B/X testing. I did the testing years ago and found there to be no issue.

Also, rarely do mixes totally null out with inverse phase because there are a lot of plugins with modulation built in that is not song position based.

I must admit that I do not do BTD because I prefer to run thru a stereo bus, and then route/print to a track. I keep all the past mixes, stacked up on playlists and I find more convenient for a number of other reasons as well.