Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2007, 01:11 AM

Default How to assign stereo recordings to multi-channel?

Hi, I have several stereo recordings of moving footsteps that were recorded on binaural microphones in the farms and are to be installed in a 5-channel sound installation in a long and narrow walkway (about 1.5m wide and 15m long). Can anybody suggest a good way to assign each channel so as to create a spatial sense as if those footsteps were moving in this walkway? If I split each stereo to mono and assign two mono to two sepearate speakers from across the walkway, would that work?

There are 3 speakers about 5m apart from one another installed on one side of the walkway and 2 across the walkway on the other side about 7m apart.

Any input from you would be great. Many thanks!
Old 01-28-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Re: How to assign stereo recordings to multi-channel?

You want to have the level change from one spesker to another. You could do that by using a mono footstep track of having someone walk in place and bring the level up and down as the sound "travels" through the speakers.

So you have left and right speakers on the walkway? If you want to use the stereo tracks, think of zones where you bring up and down the sound as the footsteps move. One problem is trying to use a track of someone walking. That sound goes up and down on the master track in a way that you may not want. If I needed to move a sound across several speakers, I would want a steady sound so I can control it through assignment to the speakers. I would either move the mic with the person walking or have the person walk in place.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.