Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 03:43 PM

Default PT 6.9 won`t launch 6.7 will launch-FCP5 problem?

apple G4 dual 1.2ghz, uad card, tascam fw1884, 1.2gb ram, system x.3.9, quicktime 7

Ok I can not launch protools 6.9 , the application in the dock bounces and than stops with no error report or nothing.
I don`t find a reason why the application would not start.

I did everything except clean mac os x installation BUT since i uninstalled 6.9 and installed 6.7 again to upgrade to 6.9.
I noticed 6.7 does load !!! Besides i did a new complete system install last week (a man can not be advised to keep installing new systems every week and install every program again !)

6.9 worked last week on macos x.3.9 and i believe quicktime 7 also.
Last item i think installed and i don`t believe i opened protools 6.9 after that was Final Cut Pro 5 Suite.
So all this crazy time-wasting problems are a result of FCP 5 ?
But why does 6.7 work ?

So is it a conflict with quicktime 7 or with fcp 5 or is there another reason for the app not launching.
and yes i also disconnected all other firewire gear.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Re: PT 6.9 won`t launch 6.7 will launch-FCP5 problem?

Just in case someone couldn't read between my lines.
I use a Digi002 rack.
I will uninstall FCP5 tonight and let people know if that is the conflict.
I hope digidesign is looking at this problem, protools icon bouncing in the dock but nothing starting.
It is not the tascam FW1884 drivers as it worked before.
Or macosx.3.9

cheers
Old 06-20-2005, 12:19 PM

Hi there,

Had the same problem a few versions earlier on, because of an 'old' shortcut in the dock, which pointed at the previous Protools program file. Maybe try to open Protools by clicking on its original icon in Programs/Digidesign. etc. if that works replace the old icon in your dock with the 'new' 6.9 one and that should be it!

Hope it helpes, good luck!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:41 PM

I hate to burst your bubble but PT6.7 or 6.9 are not qualified to run on X.3.9. and considering they're currently working on getting a tiger updated version it doesnt look like they will. You have a choice here' run X.3.8 and enjoy your stability of protools 6.9 or have 10.3.9 and run quicktime 7 and FCP 5. Unfourtunatly at present time these are your only options. unless you can do what i did and run 10.3.8 with pro tools on a firewire boot drive and run FCP 5 on a tiger internal drive and wait for PT6.9.x to work. these my friend are your options.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:49 PM

ProTools works fine for me with MacOs X.3.9.
At the slow rate digidesign is improving their already made available products, Apple comes up with a new system update and people start moving to different Audio software.
There will never be an update for protools to work under x.3.9 because they are working at their tiger version and with some luck
x.3.9 will function also.

If it didn`t work before under x.3.9 , hey no problem ! BUT it does and the problem lies when installing FCP studio. So i`m putting this online to get some reply or word that they are investigating.

I did a clean install of my system x.3.9 and installed protools 6.9 ..... surprise no problems !!!
Why clean install because there is no uninstall option in fcp studio !

I can not believe how a small system update from x.3.7 to x.3.8 or something can cause, and this is almost every time ,a new problem for digidesign products. Tiger update i can understand a small delay, i said a small delay.... but an improvement over panther still no update ! Please.

I`m surprised they are willing to give us a 6.9 update that will work under tiger ! Why not let us all wait for protools 7 !
besides if protools 7 doesn`t include an automatic plugin delay function , i`m off protools and they can concentrate on being a digital console and m-audio seller.

I`ve been a digidesign user for many years TDM, LE , Session, Turbosynth, etc... but since MacOs X it feels like they`re not learning their lessons fast enough.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:52 PM

dude your preaching to the choir i totally agree with you... But its not supported... i didnt do this... yes it may have worked for you for a little while but now it doesnt???? Thats probably why its not supported. Digi really needs to get on the ball with these updates. this is one thing they have always been plagued with. i run 6.9 on 10.3.9 as well. i know i took the risk when updating but i knew the consequences of it being unsupported. bottom line 6.9 or 6.7 on 10.3.9. not gonna happen. down grade or be pissed off. if you want the latest and greatest be prepared to take the risks. BTW i love multicam on FCP5 OMG it came right on time i just had a 5 cam shoot and editing is a breeze.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:10 AM

Ok apparently no FCP5 problem
i had the same problem with nothing installed except system and protools 6.9
i always use a different user to install protools..... but when switching to another user that protools does work.
So fix permissions you say ? nope doesn`t work.

atleast i can open 6.9 again in macos x.3.8 (or is x.3.9 finnally supported ????????????)
AND the tiger version already arrived..... but tiger slows things down.
Mail is slower, ical etc....
I might not notice it on my dual 1.2 G4 but on my titanium 400mhz it`s a step backward.
Spotlight ! haha just a new name for indexing but now you can not turn it off !!!