Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 12-11-2018, 07:11 PM

Default Eleven Rack Re-Amp Problem & Solution

For anyone having trouble re-amping with Eleven Rack and Pro Tools, here is an unusual problem and solution that I have not seen documented anywhere else.

I just took advantage of the incredible deal that is going on offering the Eleven Rack (brand new, but without Pro Tools software) for $199.

While not a fully endorsed configuration by Avid, here is what I am running on this particular boot partition of my Pro Tools rig:
macOS 10.12.6
Pro Tools 12.5.2 (HD License without HD hardware).
Eleven Rack as audio interface. (Eleven Rack Firmware Version 2.0.1/Build 0.1.5.7)
Eleven Rack driver v1.2.13

I followed the correct protocol for re-amping via Eleven Rack.
1. Default the I/O
2. Assign the DI guitar track output to the "Re-Amp" path in Mix Window Outputs.
3. Assign the Eleven Rack Rig Input to "Re-Amp" in the Eleven Rack Editor.
4. Create an audio track, and set the input to Eleven Rig. Switch to Input mode.
(see attached screenshot "1. Mix Window Assignment.jpg")

This sounded a little doubly/phasy to me, and sure enough, when I muted the audio track (with the processed Eleven effects) I was still hearing the DI signal which seemed to be getting routed directly to the main monitor output. No matter what I did in the I/O setup changed anything, nor did following any other online tutorials. After many hours of tearing my hair out, I decided to try installing some earlier drivers for the Eleven Rack.

On this page Avid have given us links to the various builds and changes for Eleven Rack drivers:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...n-Rack-Drivers

I had originally installed the latest drivers from March 14 2018 (v1.2.13), so I downloaded the previous build from October 26 2016 (v1.2.12). I did an uninstall and reboot of the existing v1.2.13 drivers. I then installed the older v1.2.12 drivers and rebooted.

I launched Pro Tools, defaulted the I/O, and voila ! There was a new column in the I/O Setup window called "Rig" that was not present in the newer v1.2.13 driver. (see attached screenshots)

Everything now worked exactly as expected. The assigned DI track did NOT go to the monitor output, but simply to the Eleven Rack, and returned perfectly "Eleven'd" to my audio track.

To double check I wasn't losing my mind. I did the converse. I uninstalled the v1.2.12 driver and went back to the newer v1.2.13 driver. Sure enough, same problem as before - the DI also went to the main monitor outputs when assigned to "Re-Amp". The I/O Setup window was now missing the "Rig" column, and was replaced by a simple "Analog 3&4" column. (see attached screenshots)

I went thru the same process again, and re-installed the older driver. Voila. Problem fixed once again.

Anyone who has this same configuration, macOS 10.12.6 with Pro Tools 12.5.2 should give this a try. Other than this specific problem, this combination of macOS & Pro Tools with Eleven Rack is working absolutely perfectly, even though it is not endorsed/supported by Avid. Stable and efficient. I have even got the buffer set to 32 samples, and it is showing less than 5% CPU activity. I can even play live thru the DI track and monitor the Eleven sounds live.

Good luck. I hope this write-up helps someone.

P.S. This one goes to Eleven ;-)

Attached jpegs:
1. Mix Window Assignment.jpg
2. macOS10.12.6 with ElevenRack Drivers 1.2.13 Input.jpg
3. macOS10.12.6 with ElevenRack Drivers 1.2.12 Input.jpg
4. macOS10.12.6 with ElevenRack Drivers 1.2.13 Output.jpg
5. macOS10.12.6 with ElevenRack Drivers 1.2.12 Output.jpg

Last edited by Tweakhead; 12-11-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Re-Amp Problem & Solution

This may be related to other problems folks have been reporting with internal monitoring not being disabled when using the Eleven Rack.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:41 PM

OK, interesting. Yes - so anyone with this problem should look at the their I/O window, and see if it has the "Rig" column (shown in jpgs #3 & 5). If not, they should follow my instructions for going back to the earlier driver version.

As this now could possibly be a general problem, no matter what Pro Tools/OS combination, Avid's code-writers should check it - and build a bugfix.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:46 PM

Let’s see if others see if. It’s easy to get a corrupted IO setup/pio files. I’ll play later but don’t have my Eleven Rack here.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:01 PM

Default Eleven Rack as Interface?

Hello all,

Recently I moved back into playing guitar and started using the 11R as my interface to a new suite of guitar Tools that being Bias FX and Bias Amp but have run into a problem.

I contacted someone who had a YouTube vid who was doing something along the lines of what I thought might work and told me that I should create a mono track, set the Input as Guitar In (for dry signal) and the place my Bais Amp plugin in the Inserts in Pro tools, arm the track and everything should work. And it did for a day I was getting only the guitar in signal and was getting the sound from the Bias Amp "plug-in". Then after some hot weather where i couldn't use the computer I loaded up the ProTools file and then instead of getting just the Dry Signal I started getting the full-rig again. And I can't seem to stop it playing at all, other than loading up the 11R editor and turning off all the blocks . There must be a better way than this the 11R editor keeps crashing.

Is there anything else I can do to make sure I am only getting the dry signal, so Bias can work it's magic? I haven't even got around to using Bias FX yet, until I get the amp component working properly.

Thankyou and Regards.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP

Last edited by Vercingetorix; 01-07-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack as Interface?

With the Eleven Rack selected as an interface it should mute the internal monitoring path so you should not be hearing the rig directly, only what is being monitored through Pro Tools.

You either are seeing a known occasional bug where the internal monitoring path is not being suppressed correctly. You can find other posts about that issue on DUC. Try an older driver version. Look at other posts here.

Or you simple don't have the Eleven Rack selected as the playback engine... this is a highly likely explanation. You have to *check* what is selected. And not an aggregate device.

Or you accidentally have the wet source selected as input in a track or maybe in another hidden track. It's unlikely but you can also check that the input labels for the interface are not messed up. After checking the Eleven Rack is select4ed as the playback engine then select and delete all setup>IO>input paths and click the default button.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
With the Eleven Rack selected as an interface it should mute the internal monitoring path so you should not be hearing the rig directly, only what is being monitored through Pro Tools.

You either are seeing a known occasional bug where the internal monitoring path is not being suppressed correctly. You can find other posts about that issue on DUC. Try an older driver version. Look at other posts here.
I'll look into that - thanks!

Quote:
Or you simple don't have the Eleven Rack selected as the playback engine... this is a highly likely explanation. You have to *check* what is selected. And not an aggregate device.
Checked that I can't actually change the playback engine. There is no drop down box to change to anything else. It's the ElevenRack or bust. It says that the playback is the ElevenRack so I'm assuming that is fine - I hope.

Quote:
Or you accidentally have the wet source selected as input in a track or maybe in another hidden track. It's unlikely but you can also check that the input labels for the interface are not messed up. After checking the Eleven Rack is select4ed as the playback engine then select and delete all setup>IO>input paths and click the default button.
Benoni told me to do with the IO and had a video on it - and did it again earlier today and had no effect.

Thankyou and Regards.

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 01-08-2019, 12:33 AM

Rightio,

I just tried it again a moment after looking at the PlayBack engine, and running through the defaults for a third time and its working again!?!

I guess I'll just have to chalk it up to computers not working correctly with me. I need someone else around like I just had a moment ago when it did WORK properly .

Cheers and Regards.

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 01-08-2019, 10:23 AM

Is this the problem?

https://youtu.be/TbRnyt6PVjc

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-08-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Is this the problem?

https://youtu.be/TbRnyt6PVjc
Yes, I have been having that problem. I noticed it yesterday, there was a strange doubling sound where the full 11R rig was coming through an unarmed track as well as the Bias Rig that was armed. I couldn't believe my ears.

Thank you greatly for coming up with a solution . I think that might solve the problems I have been having.

BTW - that Dread preset you used at the beginning of the vid sounded pretty awesome .

Thankyou and Regards.

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP