Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2013, 07:45 PM

Default MicroKORG Synth/Vocoder as plugin

Hi, I have an analog MicroKORG Synth/Vocoder. Is there any way I can connect it so it behaves like a pro tools plugin instrument, such as Vacuum?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:13 PM

Default Re: MicroKORG Synth/Vocoder as plugin

What interface are you using?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 08-24-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMulhern View Post
Hi, I have an analog MicroKORG Synth/Vocoder. Is there any way I can connect it so it behaves like a pro tools plugin instrument, such as Vacuum?
Connect the Korg MIDI I/O to your computer, connect the audio outputs of the Korg to your audio interface, use either separate MIDI and aux tracks or an instrument track in PT with the MIDI out of the track (instrument or aux) set to your Korg and the audio input of the (instrument or aux) track set to whatever port on your audio interface the Korg is connected to.

If you're on a Mac you have some setup to do in OSX audio/MIDI setup. You haven't told us what computer and operating system you're using and what interfaces you're using - we really need to know that as well.

QAPLA!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:02 PM

If your audio interface has multiple inputs and outputs, you can set up the Korg as an insert.

In Pro Tools, go to the I/O setup page, and select the "Inserts" tab.

You need to use matched inputs and outputs to create an insert path, so output 3 would have to be paired with input 3, output 4 with input 4 etc.

You would then physically connect output 3 of your audio interface to input 1 on the Korg, then connect output 1 of the Korg to input 3 on the audio interface.

If you're using it as a vocoder effect, just click on an insert slot on the vocal track, and select hardware insert (you could name it "Korg" in the I/O setup).

Set up a MIDI track, and direct it's MIDI output to your MIDI hardware I/O, having connected the MIDI out to the Korg's MIDI in.

Set the MIDI track and the Korg to the same MIDI channel, and you can play / program the keyboard to "vocode" the signal coming off the vocal track.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
If your audio interface has multiple inputs and outputs, you can set up the Korg as an insert.

In Pro Tools, go to the I/O setup page, and select the "Inserts" tab.

You need to use matched inputs and outputs to create an insert path, so output 3 would have to be paired with input 3, output 4 with input 4 etc.

You would then physically connect output 3 of your audio interface to input 1 on the Korg, then connect output 1 of the Korg to input 3 on the audio interface.

If you're using it as a vocoder effect, just click on an insert slot on the vocal track, and select hardware insert (you could name it "Korg" in the I/O setup).

Set up a MIDI track, and direct it's MIDI output to your MIDI hardware I/O, having connected the MIDI out to the Korg's MIDI in.

Set the MIDI track and the Korg to the same MIDI channel, and you can play / program the keyboard to "vocode" the signal coming off the vocal track.
That would work if the op wasn't using the Korg supplied mic on the MicroKorg which he didn't say if he was using that or not.

QAPLA!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
That would work if the op wasn't using the Korg supplied mic on the MicroKorg which he didn't say if he was using that or not.
I don't see why you would want to use the Korg's built in mic - it would completely defeat the purpose of using it as a "plug-in" if you're standing at it performing.

That said, if for some reason you don't want to use it to process a pre-existing recording, but only capture the vocoded signal from a live vocal performance, you could have the singer in the booth performing in to your favourite mic chain, through an Aux Track with the Korg "plug-in" inserted, and buss the output to an Audio Tack for recording.

Again, I don't know why you wouldn't just record the vocal clean on one track, and print the vocoder output to another (either during the live vocal tracking, or after the fact, to make the vocoding a permanent audio file within the session, rather than only existing as a live, external function), but you have the option for whichever suits your needs.

The advantage of recording the vocal (or whatever) cleanly is that you can modulate a consistent performance at your leisure, which is part of the appeal of plug-ins in general.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:49 PM

Thanks everyone! Sorry I didn't give you more details, I'm using PT 9 on mac, with an Mbox 2 mini and external dynamic mic. I should be able to get it working with what you've said already, just as soon as i get a new USB B (mine just broke)... by the way, can I use just any USB B? I tried switching it out with another one I had lying around (which is working fine for my printer now), but the recording produced was all staticy and horrible.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone! Sorry I didn't give you more details, I'm using PT 9 on mac, with an Mbox 2 mini and external dynamic mic. I should be able to get it working with what you've said already, just as soon as i get a new USB B (mine just broke)... by the way, can I use just any USB B? I tried switching it out with another one I had lying around (which is working fine for my printer now), but the recording produced was all staticy and horrible.
You can use any USB cable as long as it has the right connectors (I'm assuming that's what you mean by 'USB B').

QAPLA!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Mbox 2 Mini.....

I'm afraid you're not going to be able to create an insert that would enable you to use the Korg in quite the way you want to.

There are workarounds, but you wont be able to just use it like a plug-in insert, as having only the one pair of inputs & outputs, you wont be able to avoid creating a feedback loop when using the vocoder.

Your best bet is :

1. Record the vocal.

2. Connect the audio output of the Mbox to the input of the Korg.

3. Plug your headphones in to the Korg

4. Assuming you have a separate MIDI interface, connect MIDI in & out to your computer interface, and the Korg. If you don't have a means of connecting MIDI, you are committed to performing the synth part live on the Korg, whilst listening in with headphones plugged in to the Korg.

5. Create a new Audio Track, and turn it's fader all the way down, so that it outputs no signal whatsoever.

6. Connect the output of the Korg to the input of the Mbox, and record arm the new track - adjusting the Mbox input gain to get a suitable recording level.

7. Once you are satisfied with the vocoder settings, as monitored over headphones connected to the Korg (don't at any point try monitoring through the Mbox, or turn up the fader on that new track), and you have recorded any MIDI information you require, you are ready to record the audio output of the Korg in to Pro Tools.

8. When you have successfully recorded the Korg's output, disarm the new audio track, disconnect the Mbox outputs from the Korg's inputs, and reconnect your monitor speakers.

It's now safe to raise the level of the fader on the new audio track, without danger of a feedback loop.

It's not ideal, but it's more flexible than doing everything live through the Korg.

P.S. I have no idea what a USB B is, so can't answer that one.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:51 PM

There is a controller VST editor for the MicroKorg iirc, I used to own one quite a few years ago.

Yeah here it is

http://korg.com/microKORG

Under support, click software.

This may make your life a little easier :)