Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindtools View Post
Still hoping and praying for some progress and checking in daily. I would also encourage people to try and stay on topic and continue to address Avid for a response to our specific issue. Surely they have to talk to us soon?

Cheers guys :)
+1
Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 AM

I'm very interested in how they will answer this thread concerning the EOL boards. Especially the control/24.
I'm all for getting an update. I'm having trouble with my control/24 but I found a guy that can fix it for a good price.
This whole thing is in the balance for me. I'm holding off on any updates and upgrades till I see what happens.
Hey Avid, a simple update for the control/24 would be very nice. :)
PreSonus 1824c
Faderport 16
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12
Studio One 6.5 Pro
Logic Pro X
Old 07-15-2013, 11:07 AM

Checking in here as well.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:23 AM

+1
Old 07-15-2013, 11:29 AM

+1
Old 07-15-2013, 11:44 AM

Checking in as well...
Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
E

I agree. I'm just saying I think they are guessing enough pro control/ control 24 owners would also buy a c|24/icon possibly even artist series surface, along with HD|N or HDx to overcome what they're not making on those that won't upgrade.
That's certainly a "theory". But we must also consider that every time they upgrade Pro Tools, they must also re-approve every piece of hardware that they've ever made. Which is why EOL exists. Every time a new piece of hardware is created by Avid, it makes sense to remove older ones just to make the workload manageable.

Let me give you an easier example. I get very frustrated that Apple makes a new OS almost every year. I don't like to keep upgrading my OS because most of the features are minor yet require me to update a lot of my working software. It's a PITA and there's always something left behind.

I'm sure that Avid feels the same way which is exactly why they're only supporting Pro Tools 11 with Mountain Lion 10.8. It's not because they don't want to support Lion 10.7 or Snow Leopard 10.6 or even Leopard 10.5. It's simply because it would need to be tested (along with every piece of hardware) to work perfectly with those other OSs. Just adding one of them doubles the workload.

So a plan that involves EOL to your hardware is a very normal tactic to take to keep things manageable. But, as we see in this case, each situation has to be evaluated separately.

Quote:
To make a list of hardware with 3 categories; will work, could work (untested, but we haven't done anything to break it), and won't work. Then leave these in the could work category. Especially when it's been noted the driver has to be at least somewhat similar to the C|24 driver. Then at the last second move it to the won't work category. That's verging on false advertisement in my opinion.
Here's where I have to disagree with you and here is where the "complaint" makes things worse for all of us.

Like most things in life, once someone complains, gets hurt or sues, the rest of us usually have to live without. Go skateboard in a public park, break your neck and no one can ever skateboard there again. It's a risk vs. reward thing.

If your "complaint" is with those three categories and you were to get somewhere with this false advertisement claim, guess what happens next?

That's right. You lose that middle option. Everything will be supported or it won't work. They might even put code in their to make sure that "untested" never works just to avoid anyone holding them to that claim.

Who wins then? I love the fact that the 888s worked as long as they did untested and that the Blue 192s are still working with HDX and Pro Tools 11.

I'm even using Pro Tools 11 with Mac Lion. Not Mountain Lion. Look at me!!! I'm running with scissors in my hand!!!!

How would it be better if they made sure it wouldn't work with Lion? They could. They just didn't test it with Lion and that made my life a whole lot easier. I had Pro Tools 11 installed in a few minutes. Yayy!!!

Quote:
So in the end, I'm not arguing avid has to do anything. They've given an answer. And it's probably all we'll get. But I believe it's position they should reconsider simply for the sake of customer confidence. Something a struggling company needs more than anything. Again my opinion.
Let's hope that they agree.

All the best.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:50 PM

I have to say that I have meat few companies that are more reluctant to have a dialog with its user base compare to avid. I don't know what to say about their attitude except for saddening.

Apogee Duet 2
Macbook pro i5 2.5GHZ, 10GB
Old 07-15-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMartin View Post
I have to say that I have meat few companies that are more reluctant to have a dialog with its user base compare to avid. I don't know what to say about their attitude except for saddening.
+1
Can any/every relationship ever be repaired when it crosses a certain threshold in your heart/mind?

You can't un-remember, unhear, and/or completely forget certain violations. Am I bitter? Yes. Am I a troll ? No. Do I own a Control 24? No

But I did have to live with PT10 GUI freeze and half my aax plugins for upwards of a year; only to be told on this forum that the problem was my p.o.s computer and that I did not use my due diligence? Did they EVENTUALLY (after another humongous thread similar to this one and the CPTK one) fix this debilitating issue with an update (10.3 I believe)? YES. Was I attacked by AVID fanboys for 6 months while I helped keep that thread alive? YES Am I on the same computer now, with a 5400 rpm recording drive, and it flies? YES.

Q: IS THIS THE PROPER WAY TO RUN A BUSINESS in the 21st century? NO
Q: DO CUSTOMERS DESERVE THIS STRESS related to their livlihood? NO
Q: Should it take a virtual riot to get a company's attention/action? NO
Q: DO CUSTOMERS DESERVE TO NOT HAVE A DIRECT LINE AVAILABLE TO AN AVID AUTHORITY FIGURE FOR FREE? NO
Q: ARE THE MOST CALM PEOPLE/Polite/Devil's advocate people ON THIS FORUM Suffering directly from these issues? NO

This customer service model is a cocktail for animosity, profit loss and reputation degradation. This is inarguable. But of course, we are entitled to our opinions, so I welcome any attacks on what I have just posted.

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers

Last edited by louieshowers; 07-15-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:32 PM

Really funny though avid/DiGi has been getting these posts since 2007

Like advice in how to run a company and so on just interesting nothing more
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.