Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2003, 03:30 AM

Default vocAlign?!?!

sorry guys i know this question is a little dumb but i need to know how vocalign works properly i couldnt figure it out, any help would be very useful and id be very thankful..bye
Old 02-27-2003, 06:59 AM

Default Re: vocAlign?!?!

VocalAlign is a wonderful plug-in and is extremely easy to use. Say, your doubling your lead vocal, but the second pass doesn't sync up with the original vocal pass.

Before processing, you need to make sure that both tracks (or regions) are EXACTLY the same length. Hint: vocalalign works best and is extremely accurate when processing smaller regions (say :20 sec regions at a time) rather than trying to process an entire 3:00 min songs.

Step 1) Select the region that will sever as your guide track (in our example, vocal pass 1).
Then, in vocalAlign, select the GUIDE button and then select CAPTURE.

Step 2) Select the region that will server as you dub track (in our example, the vocal double).
Then, in vocalalign, selct the DUB button and then select CAPTURE.

Step 3) Now assign a destination.

Step 4) hit PROCESS.

BTW, just because the plug-in is called VocalAlign doesn't mean that it will only work with on vocal. Vocalalign works great when doubling Acoustic Rhythm parts or Ele Rhythm parts. Doubling the Gtr Solo, etc.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:07 AM

If it's the same version I have, it's actually very simple.

I am assuming you have already recorded the audio you want to "match up" to the original audio. I am also assuming that VocAlign is active.

Okay...

STEP ONE: Use the selector tool in PT to designate the section of the "original" audio you want to replace. Leave a little "padding" at the beginning and end of the selected area. By padding I mean an extra quarter second or so. In other words, you don't have to be super precise, but err on the side of having a bit to much audio designated rather than too little.

Done that? Okay, now it's CONTROL-SHIFT-7 simultaneously and you've just designated that section of audio as the one for the replacement audio to follow.

STEP TWO: Go to the track which has the "replacement" audio and, again, use the selector to designate the replacement.

Done that? Okay, now it's CONTROL-SHIFT-8 and you've just designated that section of audio as the one to line itself up with the original.

STEP THREE: Call up the VocAlign screen with CONTROL-SHIFT 9 and, to make things easy, hit the SPOT button.

Essentially, you're done. VocAlign will have created a new audio region from the replacement audio which will line up with the original. Of course, there are some other controls on the VocAlign screen for fine tuning, but most of the time that simple procedure has worked for me.

I have found that sometimes you need to work with smaller sections of audio to keep things totally together.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:40 AM

Also very valuable for aligning kick and bass! Very cool.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:34 PM

REALLY?

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Does that work on rock music?

Or are you talking about Dance / groove based material?

HIT ME ONE MORE TIME!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com