Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-23-2002, 04:36 AM

Default Frustration with dealers

Like many other potential digidesign customers in Britain I am rather frustrated with the inavailabilty of the m-box. Although there are loads of companies whoa are advertising the device for £445, if you go round or ring them up, they've never even seen one. But nevertheless, they try to sell you the necessary equipment to go with it. At some shops I am told that you won't be able use an ibook because the hard drives are too slow to run more than 12 audio tracks, so you'll have to buy an external firewire drive!
In the light of this information and taking into account the fact that you cant use PTLE without the m-box, I'm gonna go for the nice new imac instead.
Old 03-23-2002, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Frustration with dealers

I would be wary of such a statement (I sincerely doubt that it's true) and I wouldn't make my decision on a computer purchase from a music dealer's comments.

Your frustration is the exact reason why I love to shop online. Ask users questions in forums such as this one, and then buy exactly what you want for the best price, sometimes with no taxes. Pay with your credit card so your purchase is protected against fraud.

6am eternal
Old 03-23-2002, 08:16 AM

you still need a xternal hard drive for a
imac i would neve rec to my internal drive
and i have a g4 i use scussy drives but in your case is differnt
Old 03-23-2002, 01:19 PM

first off... my mbox works great with my ibook (500mhz model)... I can to 24 tracks off of the internal drive with 16 channels of compression and eq (both mcdsp) running. as far as finding one... I was told by a friend that works at digi that there were only like 3000 made so far... and they're all gone... Dealers were extremely limited as to what they got... for example I work for on of the largest Digi dealers in the midwest and we have only gotten 2 so far... (but then again we have been getting the HD stuff like there's no tomorrow) I further heard that Digi is making them as fast as they can and it will probably take a couple months to get them out to everybody. Hope this helps explain it.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:14 AM

I got my new mbox last week. Actually, on their instruction booklet Digi says users should not record on internal HD unless it's an emergency. So getting an external HD seems like a must.