Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-14-2018, 08:54 AM

Default Clip Naming Workflow Problem

Hi PT Community,

I'm always looking for ways to keep my clip list managable, so I turn off "Show -> Auto-Created" in my clip list. However, I'm running into what seems like a bug in my workflow, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Say I have a parent file that I want to "log" by breaking it down into clips. Say I make a clip of that parent filed called "Introduction and ID" by splitting and naming it. It shows up in my clip list—everything is great so far.

Then I start to edit that clip since it needs some clean-up. As soon as I make my first cut or edit, it disappears from the clip list because ProTools has automatically created "Introduction and ID-01" and "Introduction and ID-02." Since these clips are auto-created they do not show up in the clip list, and since there is now no clip named "Introduction and ID" it is also gone from the clip list! It seems insane, but I can watch it happen—drag clip into window, make a cut, clip name disappears.

This seems to happen independently of the "Auto-Name Separated Clips" setting. No idea why.

Anyone have any thoughts, tips, tricks, suggestions? How is it possible to even work with named clips...?
Old 07-11-2021, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Clip Naming Workflow Problem

Responding here 4 years after the fact for people coming from older versions of pro tools to newer ones like me, I had the same question and spent hours looking for an answer. The workflow has changed slightly in newer versions of pro tools.

The solution is to make your selction on your "sub clip" as it's known and hit "command R" or go to the clip menu and select capture then name it. Both the source sub clip and the new sub clip stay in the clip list

Last edited by bigdoghat; 07-11-2021 at 05:05 PM.