Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-26-2007, 05:29 AM

Default 002Rack Monitor

I need some advice.

I am running my studio monitors off the MAIN L & R on the back of my 002Rack. Problem is, my session Master fader now controls my monitor levels. This is far from ideal for a variety of reasons. (fade outs, AudioSuite Previews that are LOUD, etc.)

Anyhow, what is the best way to handle this? Should I be using the Monitor Outs on the 002 or should I be configuring some alternate IO in my PT session such as multiple Master Faders, multiple output assignment on channels, etc.?

Basically, I want as pure of a signal as possible into the monitors but I need the ability to control the volume in the room separate from the level of the Master Fader.

Sounds like a pretty silly question but up until now (2 years or so) I have been running the 002 into a mixing board, then using the board to drive the monitors. This has been coloring the sound and so I've stopped.

Please let me know what you'd recommend.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Re: 002Rack Monitor

I found the Presonus Central Station is a great solution to this problem. Also, it allows switching between 3 sets of speakers, 5 different source inputs, and talkback. A similar device is the Mackie Big Knob, and there are others. Hope this helps!!!
Click for demo
Old 09-26-2007, 06:25 AM

Your master fader should not control the monitor speakers volume. The master fader is like a global fader which controls the over all volume of your song. In order to mix properly a common practice is to have the master at "unity gain" 00 db. Pro tools will default to this setting once you create a master fader.

The main output of the 002 has its uses, as well as the monitor outs. But do not confuse the right use of each output.

Mainly, the main outs are for sending the Righ and Left mix signal to other recording devices for pourpuse of having a mix of the material. Be it a dummy mix, a final mix, or a pre mix.
The level of this signal in db is usually strong, and I would not recommend to plug your speakers to this outputs. ( I can give you a technical explanation if you wish)

To monitor your material and being able to control the volume level you need to plug your speakers to the monitor outs in the 002. The monitor knob in the front will control the volume, next to it you will have the headphone volume knob.

There are other ways to send a signal out to mastering or recording devices, as well as other ways to monitor your material using external monitor amps. Other people may have other crazy ways going on, but for now you should connect the outputs of the 002 the basic way, and the way it was originally intended to work.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 AM

Understood and yes, the output from the L/R is hot, I actually took the trim on the speakers all the way down to accomodate.

I didn't know if using the Monitor circuit on the 002 would hurt my clarity in any manner. What is the benefit of using an external controller (such as the Presonus or Mackie) instead of using the Monitor loop on the 002? (besides the multiple IO features) Is there a quality difference?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:59 AM

There are some benefits, but it all depends on your situation and what you really need.

The presonus central station is about $500.00 it will give a way to plug your speakers, I think two pairs, your cassete player or dvd R, mastering unit etc. your headphones, and provide outputs and inputs routing options, knobs to control volume levels . Rack mountable. The big know will do the same, and can be set next to your pc keyboard.

I would recommend getting it only if you have a medium to large home studio, project studio and doing jobs for other people.

It money is no problem and you wish to get it, well its your choice. Now, depending on what you do and your situation, you could probably set your system the way we talked about above and spend those $500 on something more productive. A pre amp, a decent mic, or even plug ins.