Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2003, 10:28 PM

Default Moog Phaser Plug-in Extremely Noisy & Unusable

Some 6-7 months ago I purchased the BF Moogerfooger Bundle for the HD system. When auditioning all the different plugins, I noticed that the TDM version of the Phaser was extremely noisy and compeletly unusable meanwhile the RTAS version practically completely quiet.

After notifying BombFactory support about this problem, I received a phone call from a guy from BombFacotry who claimed to be the programmer of the Phaser plugin. He informed be that my analysis of the TDM plug-in was correct and that the noise was intentional and has no intention of correcting the problem as it simulates the "real thing" and suggested that I use the RTAS version if the TDM version was too bad of a problem.

Well, brotha let me tell you...a friend of mine owns one of the few Moog Phasers that were manufactured and it is extremly quiet and a joy to use.

My question.... Has anyone else experienced the extreme noise problem with the TDM Moog Phaser? I believe that Bombfactory needs to disclose this information in their advertisements. Otherwise, does anyone want to purchase my extremely noisy and unusable Bombfactory Moog Phaser Plug-in???

Old 11-16-2003, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Moog Phaser Plug-in Extremely Noisy & Unusabl

same here, my freind owns a moogerfooger ring mod, another the moogerfooger phaser, and the real ones aren't even close to being that noisy, plus they sound so much fatter, bomb factorys products always seem to have more noise then the real things, probrally cause they emulated an abused unit.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Moog Phaser Plug-in Extremely Noisy & Unusable

Typical for a lot of the BF stuff.

There are two new phasers about to hit the market that will knock you out, and both are very different and compliment each other.

I am lucky to be beta-testing both:

1: Trillium Lane Labs "Every-Phase." final beta is done. this one is PHHHHH-AT. rich, creamy, warm, smooth, you get the idea. -And dead quiet. When you push the resonance, it's cholesterol city.
Put this on at least one track of every mix you do, and no one will ever complain about "Digititus" again.

2: Sound Toys "Phase Mistress." -A VERY different animal. A little leaner, but also more aggressive and with tons of parameter control. You can do two sweeps at once, 180 degrees out of phase.

You will want to own both of these, believe me.

-And both of these companies have very cool people behind them. No need to deal with Bombastic Guy.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:44 AM

Will either of these plug ins work with TDM Mix (as TDM Plug in, not RTAS), The TLLabs site is unclear (they say Accel supported, but nothing on Mix). I assume the soundtoys will be rtas only.
thanks.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:04 PM

The TL Audio plugin is true TDM.

The Sound Toys phaser, like their amazing "Filter freak," is not yet. However, this is high on their priority list. all the beta-testers have been begging for it.

BTW, ken (Sound Toys) just sent me a new build of Phase-Mistress today, addressing some very cool features I asked for. I can't wait to get at it. This stuff is MONDO good-sounding.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:33 AM
Neyrinck

TL EveryPhase supports TDM Mix, HD, and HD Accel hardware on OS 9, OS X, and XP.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:08 AM

Default TL EveryPhase

TL EveryPhase 1.0 is shipping now and a demo is available from www.tllabs.com.

As mentioned, TL EveryPhase supports RTAS and TDM Mix, HD, and HD Accel hardware on OS 9, OS X, and XP.

Madlo, if you can let me know what was unclear about the compatibility info on our Web site, that would be very useful. It's getting increasingly difficult to list compatibility information now there are so many hardware platforms to cover. There is a table at http://www.tllabs.com/everyphase.htm which lists all supported configs.

Thanks,

Todd
Trillium Lane Labs
http://www.tllabs.com