Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 07-21-2021, 01:17 AM

Default No playback sound using Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen

I had to get Pro Tools First for College I'm doing a Sound Production course cert 3.

I can't take any screenshots because when I try to take a screenshot with Pro Tools First running (this pro tools browser thing) I can't get the shot, I have tried and tried but to no avail. I can get it to run and even select a template but I get a message saying "Some inputs or outputs have become inactive because your audio hardware device has changed" "Some inputs are missing" and I see "would you like to saved a detailed report" and select "yes" ..when I go to open the file I get a "document is missing" message.

The program will open I can see the tracks and the drum loops but when I click "play" on the transport bar it runs but no sound is coming out at all. I have tried different drivers like ASIOall and stuff but to no avail. I even tried holding down the N key but that did nothing, changed the system from scarlett sound output back to realtek but it did nothing as well. Surely someone has seen this problem before but I can't find it anywhere, please help, my studies are on the line here because we are in lock down and doing all classes online, my teacher will probably tell me to come here.

AMD Ryzen 5, windows 10 64bit, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen 16Gb RAM Pro Tools First 21.6
Old 07-21-2021, 03:15 AM

Default Re: No playback sound using Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen

Hi, welcome to the community.

Have you double checked system requirements here?
Old 07-21-2021, 09:54 AM

I had the same problem at first and it turned out to be a sample rate issue. Check the sample rate of the audio verses what the Scarlett is set for. If the sample rate doesn't match, you will get that input/output message. Also, try the Snipping Tool that comes with Windows - That might let you get a screen capture.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:08 AM

A couple of recommendations:
  • Don't use ASIO4All, use the actual Focusrite drivers. ASIO4All is ok in a pinch if you're using onboard sound.
  • Disable the Focusrite in Control Panel, Sounds - both the Recording and Playback tabs. This will prevent Windows from taking over the interface to play notification sounds.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 07-23-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hi, welcome to the community.

Have you double checked system requirements here?
Yes I did check them but surely this program doesn't only run on intel products, I have a strong enough PC system, surely, a 6 core processor 16Gb RAM, SSD, Cubase works fine, IDT it could be that surely not! Thanks for your input Janne.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
A couple of recommendations:
  • Don't use ASIO4All, use the actual Focusrite drivers. ASIO4All is ok in a pinch if you're using onboard sound.
  • Disable the Focusrite in Control Panel, Sounds - both the Recording and Playback tabs. This will prevent Windows from taking over the interface to play notification sounds.

Joel
Yeah thanks Joel I can hear a click track now also vocals & guitar but when I hit record the cursor doesn't move and there's no meter movement on the guitar track but there is on the mic, I guess I'll learn more about it when class starts. Thanks for everyone helps on this matter, I very much appreciate it, ROCK ON!
Old 07-24-2021, 07:32 AM

Shooting from the hip, Are you trying to record your guitar to an INSTRUMENT track? Common newbie mistake as instrument tracks are for virtual instruments. Record your guitar to an AUDIO track

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-24-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Shooting from the hip, Are you trying to record your guitar to an INSTRUMENT track? Common newbie mistake as instrument tracks are for virtual instruments. Record your guitar to an AUDIO track
Instrument Tracks can handle audio and midi

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ow_to/en367979
Old 07-24-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Instrument Tracks can handle audio and midi
To correct one of our most trusted contributors here on the forum, Dave, you'll have to do better than that; instrument tracks can't record or contain audio files in any way. Simple as that. They are made to hold VI's and they record midi only.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
To correct one of our most trusted contributors here on the forum, Dave, you'll have to do better than that; instrument tracks can't record or contain audio files in any way. Simple as that. They are made to hold VI's and they record midi only.
Thanks for clearing that up Ben, that'd be why there is no meter activity on what I set up as a Guitar track but there is meter activity on the vocal track. Is that also the reason that when recording there is no "clip" or wave file made?

Cos like, I can hear the click track vocal sound & guitar sound (but no metering on the guitar track) and there is no wave form created in the work space on any track, I think I might actually get this thing running in time for class