Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 06-25-2007, 05:54 PM

Default PT and REASON / LIVE LITE

I've just switched to M-Powered from MBox2, and I can't get REASON ADAPTED or LIVE LITE working through PT.

They both work as standalone, but when I open them in PT, I just get the small Rewire box thing - I've tried it by launching Reason / Live before launching PT as well as the opposite. Neither works.

Cam someone let me know the trick please - probably some obvious oversight of mine...

...thanks....vjk
Old 06-25-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: PT and REASON / LIVE LITE

I answered in Your other thread. Note really a good idea to double post, because it gets confusing to answer, and people will have a harder time finding answers to similar problems, but mostly because it is against the DUC terms of use.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 AM

Sorry about the double post SPK....guess I'll use the LE DUC for general PT stuff and MP DUC for specifics. More people seem to use the LE forum, so more chances...

Ok, this is the state of REASON…….

When I launch REASON as a stand alone it’s fine. In “Preferences / Control Surfaces and Keyboards” a generic Basic MIDI Kybrd is recognised. There is a GREEN TICK. I can play sounds in REASON from the Midi Kybrd.

If I insert REASON to an instrument track in MP it starts to open but I get the message:

“Reason couldn’t set up the control surfaces properly – open Preferences / Control Surfaces and click the RED X in surface list.”

I click OK in the above dialogue box and Reason opens but I can’t play sounds from the Midi Kybrd.

I then go to Pref / Cntrl Surfs in Reason, click the RED X (which is Green in Stand Alone) and get this message.

“Reason can’t open the Midi port selected for the control surface. Make sure the drivers for Midi interface are properly installed, and check that no other program uses the Midi port.”

When Reason is opened from within PT the Audio Interface above the Mixer shows Rewire / Rewire Slave Mode. Out 1/2.

In the Advanced MIDI page of Prefs, for Midi Clock sync the choices are “No Midi Input” or “Delta 1010LT MIDI”. Which of these is the correct setting? I would think it needs to be set to Delta, but if I choose Delta, I get the message:

“MIDI Problem – MIDI Port may be in use by another application.”

I have the latest M-Audio Delta 1010LT drivers, and they work fine.
I don’t understand this…isn’t PT sharing the Midi with Reason?

Is there something I need to set in Reason and/or PT to get the connection? The Midi works fine with PT instruments.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:52 AM

Sorry, I was assuming that since you switched from the MBox, you already knew how this all worked. Apparently, I was mistaken.

The Part you are not understanding is that in the windows version, PT "Steals" the MIDI ports. It has always been like this, and it is working as it should. I really wish they would change it, but it seems to be some sort of "Windows" limitation.

What people typically do in this situation is just to use MIDI tracks in Pro Tools, where the MIDI ports are available, and the sequencer is way easier to use anyway (That is until Reason 4 comes out soon).

Here's a typical Reason scenario when rewired into PT for windows:
  • Open Pro Tools
  • Create a Stereo Instrument track
  • Insert Reason Adapted. Since the Reason Adapted rack is fixed (you can't change it) all of the instruments are now available as MIDI outputs in Po Tools
  • on the MIDI output selector of the Instrument track, select which Reason Adapted instrument you would like to control/program/record with this instrument track
  • Select "All" or your specific MIDI controller as the MIDI input of the instrument track.
  • flip to Reason Adapted and select a patch on the instrument you have selected
At this point you should be able to play the instrument with your MIDI controller. Pro Tools is passing the MIDI information through to Reason Adapted, and you can record arm and record the track in Pro Tools.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-29-2007, 06:40 PM

Thanks, I've now got sound coming from Reason instruments.

Haven't had a chance to experiment with it yet, but at least we have ignition....