Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2011, 09:34 AM

Default Relinking original multitrack vocal recordings from AAF

Hi there

I have a situation with a film Im working on (animation) - where there has been a ton of voice recording done in a studio (on Pro Tools). Generally 4 tracks, 2 mics - one version compressed and 1 version uncompressed.
The picture editors have taken just 1 mic of the compressed to cut to. But for some reason the naming of files has changed in the Avid, not sure if this has been done manually or just a setting in Avid.
There was no metadata on the studio recordings as far as I can see, and since the naming is different Titan won't reconform, or similarly when I right click on the AAF audio files from cutting room, in Pro Tools to 'find matches' it wont relink to the recordings.
The naming difference, for example, is something like:-
Avid = 'P190_BB_PK_070_01'
Original Recordings - 'DIR_070_BB_PK_01'

So there is some way of identifying the files manually, but presumably no metadata to work out timecode. So when I find matches in Pro Tools and manually relink to the recordings it just drops the whole record file on the timeline, which is obviously no good, as being recorded wild most of the audio files are long with multiple takes.

Anyway, anyone experienced this and anyone have any ideas how to resolve this, other than doing it manually and mod matching? (which is very much the last resort!)

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Relinking original multitrack vocal recordings from AAF

What version of Pro Tools are you using? Currently having a bit of success with a similar situation. Metadata other than Original Timecode has been blown away from the production rolls but 9.0.3 has a wider range of Match Criteria, including First x characters of Filename.

Maybe a batch rename on the Production rolls might be possible to match the naming of the Avid media.

Unlikely that the Avid Media could be renamed successfully so it's your files that need 'fixing'

Let me know if you need any help/testing.

Ceri
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 AM

Hello Ceri

Funnily enough I did think about emailing you direct, as thought you'd be the man to help!

Running 8, though I have access to a 9 system if required.

The story gets more confusing in that I believe the dialogue editor sent some files to Titan people who said there was no metadata hence Titan not being able to link, but I looked at the aaf files in audiofinder (a sfx search program i use) and can see there is notes in metadata referencing the filename it derives from. (From the original VO recordings). So there's gotta be a way.

Anyway, might be easier to speak direct if you dont mind? my email is abayman65 at gmail dot com

Appreciate your help
Antony
Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 AM

Reasonably certain it will work out. I've been having great success with the new field recorder setup in 9.0.3 even with media that I know has no metadata other than TC.

Emails have been sent.

Note: Happy to try to help anyone else with these sort of issues. Drop me an email via DUC or my website.

Ceri
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor