Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2022, 10:19 AM

Default Is an M1 iMac enough for ProTools?

I've been telling myself that I'd wait for the new iMac Pros. The more I think about it, I realize that I don't need a 27" monitor. (plus the extra cost) The current 24" size is fine for me.

Main questions:

Will I regret not holding out for something with M1 Max or M1 Pro chips?

Or--are the current M1 iMacs plenty? (Home user, running mostly MIDI instruments, upgrading to the latest Pro Tools)

I'm currently on a mid-2012 MBP (heroically operating!), but it's time to move on.

Thanks for any insights!
Old 02-02-2022, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Is an M1 iMac enough for ProTools?

Thanks for the reply, Robruce!

Yep--I'm not processing any video. I currently don't use anything that's heavily sample based. I don't use a ton of tracks. etc. My 2012 MBP runs it all pretty well.

Re: RAM - the m1 iMacs max out at 16 GB -- I'll go with that.

I did not know that we're not doing separate system and session drives anymore with SSD. Is that so? Thanks!

Re: OS - Should I install Big Sur for stability?

Re: MBP 2012 - That computer's been a champ. I'm still running sessions on it today. Can I get 10 years from the M1 iMac?!
Old 02-02-2022, 04:03 PM

My current system is MBP 2012, Digi 003 and PT 11. I am ready to come into the modern world. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-02-2022, 04:33 PM

Default Is an M1 iMac enough for ProTools?

If you do get one, you should definitely downgrade to Big Sur. Monterey is not supported and a bunch of AVID plugins won’t even install. M1iMacs can run Bug Sur, so I would definitely roll it back.

Why not look at a Mini instead though? Cheaper, same performance, more ports (depending on which iMac you go for) and you can buy a nice screen which you can keep if you plan on upgrading later.

Also, you do realise you’ll need a new interface as well, so factor that in to your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
If you do get one, you should definitely downgrade to Big Sur. Monterey is not supported and a bunch of AVID plugins won’t even install. M1iMacs can run Bug Sur, so I would definitely roll it back.

Why not look at a Mini instead though? Cheaper, same performance, more ports (depending on which iMac you go for) and you can buy a nice screen which you can keep if you plan on upgrading later.

Also, you do realise you’ll need a new interface as well, so factor that in to your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey thanks for the tip on Big Sur. Regarding the Mini's, I've looked at them, but I want a self contained system. These new iMacs look fun. And yes--it's time to retire the Digi 003. I've been looking at the Apollo Twin X.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:45 PM

I'm running an M1 MacBook right now. My main studio computer just kicked the bucket and This computer has to take over full duty for awhile. I say the processing speed is every bit as fast as the 6 core i7 2019 iMac that I was running before. This computer was never supposed to take over these duties, but I'm trying to hold out until the next M1 Pro Mac mini or whatever is announced. I Think this is the way to go right now, knowing that support will get better over time and quirks will get worked

I am running Big Sur and have 16 GB ram installed (The max on an M1). I would definitely stay on Big Sur right now. The overall experiences gets a little finicky, and the memory does feel limiting at times. I am running video and doing larger 100 track count post-production projects on this system.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:09 PM

As a home studio user and former educator i can say that i have no issues working with Pro Tools 2021.12 on my Macbook Air M1 with 8 GB Ram and a 10 year old Babyface usb interface on a 18 year old Cinema HD Display. I do composing mainly on Logic because its so complete and well optimized. Pro Tools for Mixing and Mastering.

For me its the best and complete solution, because i can work where ever i want. I am on Big Sur 11.6.3 and do not plan to upgrade to Monterey in the next half year.

Best

MacBook Pro 13, Mid 2012, 16 GB, 250 GB Crucial MX
macOs Sonoma 14.4.1 / Windows 11
Wavelab 11.2 Elements

Music was my first love - shine on
Old 02-15-2022, 09:53 AM

Hey all! Thanks for all the helpful responses. Update:

I bought an M1 iMac last week. Right now--it's being repaired by Apple. Why? I tried to downgrade to Big Sur for Pro Tools. Something in the installation damaged the computer. (I'm waiting to hear back from Apple while they are waiting for parts for my new computer.)

They are going to tell me that I can not try to downgrade to Big Sur. Now I'm kind of stuck as I need a computer that works with Pro Tools.

This has been very frustrating.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:43 AM

That's too bad. Hope it works out.
As far as I know, the M1 imacs originally shipped with Big Sur, therefore they can be downgraded. You should perhaps ask them to return it with Big Sur installed. Should be no problem.

I got myself a M1 Mini last week. It came with monterey, and I downgraded to Big Sur and had it up and running with PT and all basic stuff by the end of the evening.

The most important change from Big Sur and onward is called "Signed System Volume". Essential info for any mac user.

I have a thread with more details that I'm updating now, with details on my experience. PT 2020.12 on M1 w/Big sur
Old 02-15-2022, 11:19 AM

Hey! Thanks for your response. Apple is now being very specific about telling me that M1's do not work with Big Sur. I've explained to them that lots of people are running them. But again--since they're repairing the computer, this is not something I can jeopardize happening again.

I've told Apple that I don't want a repaired computer. I want a new computer as that's what I bought. Apple told me to call Amazon. Amazon said they can't replace the computer. So now I'll have a repaired computer.

This is all very frustrating--but at the end of the day, I'm most annoyed with Avid. They are telling people to downgrade which is potentially damaging the machines. Monterey came out in October 2021 and they still can't offer compatibility for Pro Tools.