Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2022, 02:54 AM

Default Monterey 12.3.1 Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I beg to differ. I used Catalina for over a year, and cloned and imaged my boot drive the old way with no problem. "Signed System Volume", which it's called, came with MacOS 11 Big Sur.

I was referring to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Since Big Sur, what used to be the boot volume now consists of two volumes; typically called Macintosh HD (which contains the fundamental system files and is locked to any other processes than Apples update installer, basically. The other is then called Macintosh HD - Data, and contains everything else, applications, user files etc. In Finder, they show as one disk, in Disk Utilities you can see that they are two volumes.
That definitely began in Catalina, not Big Sur.

Signed System Volume is indeed a feature added in Big Sur, but the read only system volume which you described above with two seperate volumes appearing as one disk in Finder, was in Catalina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2022, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Monterey 12.3.1 Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
the read only system volume which you described above with two seperate volumes appearing as one disk in Finder, was in Catalina.
It may have been added to Catalina later. I didn't start having trouble with Time Machine backups failing in Catalina due to both disks having the same name until after Big Sur was released. I suspect that they added it to Catalina in an update. Looking forward to my M1 Max coming so I can be done with Catalina. Actually, what I'd like is to go back to Yosemite. It struck the best balance of user-friendliness and configurability for me.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-07-2022, 06:57 AM

So if my my Big Sur computer craps out, I have to install an OS on a different computer and restore from a back up of the Data volume before I can get up and running? Is this correct.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
It may have been added to Catalina later. I didn't start having trouble with Time Machine backups failing in Catalina due to both disks having the same name until after Big Sur was released. I suspect that they added it to Catalina in an update. Looking forward to my M1 Max coming so I can be done with Catalina. Actually, what I'd like is to go back to Yosemite. It struck the best balance of user-friendliness and configurability for me.

No it was definitely there from the start.

I don’t know about Time Machine as I don’t use it, but CCC was able to clone Catalina boot drives on release of the OS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoff View Post
So if my my Big Sur computer craps out, I have to install an OS on a different computer and restore from a back up of the Data volume before I can get up and running? Is this correct.
Yes.
When I got my M1 Mini it had Monterey installed and I wanted to run Bigsur. I knew that the M1 Minis originally shipped with Bigsur, macs today can only be rolled back to what they originally shipped with, so I basically booted from the Recovery, erased the internal, installed from a so-called "USB-installer" w/Bigsur, then used Migration Assistant to transfer everything from backup of my old Catalina Intel Mini. It worked flawlessly, and wasn't very difficult.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:54 AM

No issues here with 12.3.1 on my M1|Pro laptop.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:09 PM

I haven't tried it yet, but this apparently is the 12.3 full installer from Apple.

For those who don't want to install 12.3.1

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downl...lAssistant.pkg

I got it from here:

https://osxdaily.com/2022/03/14/maco...date-download/