Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Structure and Goliath upgrade

Anyone there who owns East West's Colossus and wants to upgrade to the Structure version of Goliath? Goliath IS Colossus with a meager 8 Gig addition, so it makes no sense to pay the $700 for a Structure/Goliath package when East West is about to release Goliath on their new PLAY engine in the next few weeks. They'll have an upgrade path of $200, but Digi doesn't seem to think extending an upgrade path for valid owners of Colossus is a smart idea.

I've emailed both EW and Digi and there's alot of finger pointing about this, but the bottom line is EW is fine with Digi offering an upgrade path using Structure. Digi marketing/sales seem to be ignoring the issue and missing out on a simple support issue. Here's the latest from Customer support:

"We understand that you have been a long time customer with Digi, puchased a significant amount of gear & plug-ins, and that you have a strong interest in the Goliath upgrade issue. We deeply appreciate this.

However, although we distribute Goliath (only as a demo, not as a purchase) we do NOT set upgrade policies. At this time, there is no upgrade path planned for what you are seeking.

Our last communication (......which was telling me they'd referred this to marketing and sales.....) was solely to let you know we have made our Marketing folks aware that there is some customer interest in this. Whether or not they proceed to negotiate with East West for further upgrade development will remain to be seen and may never come into play.

So, at this point, we really have no further information for you. Should there ever be an upgrade product available, we will surely post all information on our website."

I love the Structure engine and would happily install the Goliath package, but it why spend an extra $500 when I'll just upgrade with EastWest in a few weeks?

Digi Marketing, are you listening? I can't be the only one who own's lots of plugs and can see the advantage for you in supporting new Structure owners in every way. EW doesn't care what you do in selling Goliath.... they've told me it's fine with them if you want to suport Colossus owners with an upgrade path.

So how about it? Shall I give you money for an upgrade or will it be EastWest?

(And yes, I know PLAY is currently not RTAS compatible, but that should be resolved shortly).

Chris
Old 09-05-2007, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Structure and Goliath upgrade

I do agree Chris. I don't think that Digi marketing department is considering this too seriously yet. I have posted here discussing the same issue, but they don't seem to care about this, or at least, they don't seem to notice a business opportunity.

However, IMHO, there would be many of us willing to pay for a Colossus to Goliath+Structure crossgrade, rather than upgrading Colossus to Goliath+Play.

Digidesign assumes that it is EastWest's responsibility to take care of us, since that's who we got our Colossus library from originaly, and unfortunately EastWest could not offer a crossgrade to Goliath+Structure since they are trying to port "Play".

I suppose that Digi fears their profit on Goliath being diminished by offering this crossgrade. However I think they would still sell Structure at full price, since we only ask for the crossgrade from Colossus to Goliath Structure version.

Rodolfo F.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Structure and Goliath upgrade

I keep finding other posts like this discussing the same issue, but no response from Digi.

Rodolfo F.