Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2022, 01:51 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio & AES Outputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
RedNet D16R is an option too, although it isn't necessarily the cheapest route.
At that point maybe I'd just get a MTRX, which has AES on-board...
Old 01-10-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Ditto, PLUS the A/D converters are not the quality of the MTRX at all.
They don't do DSD/DXD sample rates.
Quote:
More like comparable to the old Avid stuff.
lol. No.
Quote:
DAD makes the MTRX not the MTRX Studio
Also no. You can check where they are made if you receive one (from Denmark)

LOT(!) of misinformation.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:07 PM

BScout already corrected this, but to be clear DAD makes the MTRX and MTRX Studio. With DADman capabilities and Dante networking focus. They don't make the Carbon, with no DADman capabilities and AVB networking. Quite interesting decisions, to re-badge/build with such differences, had to have been made by two very different teams
Old 01-11-2022, 07:59 AM

Thanks to all for your insights. The irony of the situation is really that both MTRX and MTRX Studio are more than I need (at least currently). I primarily do voiceover recording, sound design, audio post, and a bit of music composition (thus I would never need 16 inputs or outputs simultaneously). I'm simply looking to upgrade my Pro Tools rig with the most current technology, as well as having the cleanest high-end signal chain from a couple of mics/outboard preampls into Pro Tools, and then back out into my Genelec 2.1 setup. That's why the AES question was posed in the first place. So if there were a MTRX Hybrid, with something like 8 analog inputs/outputs, along with 2-8 AES inputs/outpus, and Dante that would be perfect. Again - I realize that full MTRX would fit the bill with the proper modular upgrades...but we're talking about an additional $3-5K over the MTRX Studio...all for just having AES outputs to my speakers.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
They don't do DSD/DXD sample rates. lol. No. Also no. You can check where they are made if you receive one (from Denmark)

LOT(!) of misinformation.

Funny I got this info fro AVID Jeff Komar. I guess I got it wrong guys. Sorry.. Thanks for the great reply-:)

MTRX Studio is excellent, and priced very well for the combination of quality and flexibility. Either unit would be successful for your application I believe.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS

Last edited by gives; 01-11-2022 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkbacksound View Post
…would be either an expensive ADAT to AES box
I’ll challenge that needs to be expensive, well define expensive, but the RME ADI-192DD is a very nice and flexible ADAT to/from AES/EBU box that you should be able to pick up used for $600 to $800. I recently got two of those, one of which actually appeared unused in its original box. One from the USA, one from Europe. Ignore the starry eyed folks advertising these at list price. RME discontinued them, new gen products were mentioned a few years ago and not delivered, and who knows if they ever will arrive but these old boxes are just great (and I need sample rate conversion which they do). If you look around you might find the older ADI-8DD (no SRC, no 192kHz) for even less.

And yes I know about the DAD DX32R and that seems great to pair with a MTRX studio, but these used RME boxes are lower-cost if all you want is ADAT to AES.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-11-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:31 AM
Avid

Nope.

Quote:
Funny I got this info fro AVID Jeff Komar. I guess I got it wrong guys. Sorry.. Thanks for the great reply-:)

MTRX Studio is excellent, and priced very well for the combination of quality and flexibility. Either unit would be successful for your application I believe.
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-11-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Nope.
OK Maybe I was incorrect about the quality of the MTRX Studio VS the MTRX, with A/D quality etc. and thought the MTRX Studio was not totally done at Digital Audio Denmark but that is why I got the more expensive unite plus the flexibility. I stand corrected on that I guess. Was just trying to help a guy out here with some good answers.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-11-2022, 12:21 PM

And your help is very appreciated Gregory! I thank you and all the responders who are trying to impart all of the relevant information...and helping each other sort it all out.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:45 PM
Avid

MTRX and MTRX Studio devices both offer excellent conversion quality in addition to flexibility of routing, monitoring and audio patching. Avid works with NTP/DAD who manufactures both devices to ensure that the operation, drivers and any interactions with Pro Tools and EUCON are reliable.

For many, MTRX Studio will be sufficient with a generous complement of analog, Dante and ADAT connections.

MTRX is our flagship interface offering which is leaps and bounds beyond the conversion quality of HD IO. It also offers massive expansion via MADI, Dante and key - DigiLink, which can be leveraged to bridge multiple Pro Tools based rigs for multi-workstation workflows.

Here are a few different options for converting between ADAT and AES:

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-4-dd.html

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-4.php

For simply applications like a stereo reverb - the AVIO could possibly do the trick:

https://www.audinate.com/products/de...ante-avio#aes3

There are also some AES3 -> Dante converters which could be used if you wanted to pull from your complement of IP Audio on the MTRX Studio such as:
https://www.sonifex.co.uk/de/avn/avn-dio19.shtml

Hope this helps.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ