Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 08-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Default When I reopen it only shows 4 tracks. 4 consecutive songs now

I start a new session and save along the way as usual plus 30 back ups every 10 minutes. When I reopen the session it only shows 4 tracks. Same four tracks in every session. I learned about session file back ups so I can get back to my songs now but why the heck is this happening.
Has never happened before last month now every session is doing this. Not a big problem now that I can use my backup files but why is this occurring on every song I do now. It must be a setting.
Like I said not a issue at the moment but its pretty silly if I don't understand how it happened so I can change it back .
It seems like last year was a education in everyway PT could run amuck.
I didn't do much work but I learned a awful lot of fixing problems that happen for no apparent reason. This is getting a tad much . Its like reality TV, every session stumbles across a few road blocks that threaten to ruin the project completely. What gives
Old 08-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Default Re: When I reopen it only shows 4 tracks. 4 consecutive songs now

It's time to ask the moderator to create a special thread for you so people can see what happen when you don't R.T.F.M.

seriously ,a lot of people would help you if you only took the time to read the compatibility list on Avid.
take the time to list all the specs of your system
RTFM
Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 PM

phatbeat -
please tell me how you save - because something is very weird, do you
1) Save
2) Save As
3) Save a Copy in.

I think there is still something we are missing in your workflow...
Old 08-08-2012, 05:48 PM

I usually just save.
before a bunch of edits I always save as
If I'm lucky enough to get a bunch of work done I will save then save in for a back up incase something gets messed up. But I haven't been that far into a song for awhile.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:29 PM

You don't want to do a "Save as..." because you are then working on a totally different session.

Say you create a new project named "Project 1". If you look at the top of the Edit or Mix window it will say "Project 1". Add four tracks (of any type).

Save the project, then do a "Save as..." and name it "Project 1a". Look at the top of the Edit or Mix window it will say "Project 1a". Add three more tracks (of any type).

Save the project and close it.

Open "Project 1" and you will see that it only contains the four tracks you originally added.

Open "Project 1a" and you will see that it contains the four tracks you originally added to "Project 1" plus the three tracks you added after you saved your project as "Project 1a".

And I can only reiterate what everyone else has told you...RTFM...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 08-08-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbeatstudio View Post
I start a new session and save along the way as usual plus 30 back ups every 10 minutes. When I reopen the session it only shows 4 tracks.
You're not getting confused because you're in the Edit window and the track height is only showing four tracks? Ctrl-Opt-Cmd-Down arrow will resize all tracks to fit.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
You don't want to do a "Save as..." because you are then working on a totally different session.

Say you create a new project named "Project 1". If you look at the top of the Edit or Mix window it will say "Project 1". Add four tracks (of any type).

Save the project, then do a "Save as..." and name it "Project 1a". Look at the top of the Edit or Mix window it will say "Project 1a". Add three more tracks (of any type).

Save the project and close it.

Open "Project 1" and you will see that it only contains the four tracks you originally added.

Open "Project 1a" and you will see that it contains the four tracks you originally added to "Project 1" plus the three tracks you added after you saved your project as "Project 1a".

And I can only reiterate what everyone else has told you...RTFM...
Actually I like 'save as' because it's working on a new session. Oftentimes I'll not be happy with what I've done in the 'new' session and just scrap it and go back to the session that acted as the root and start anew.

'Save as' also allows one to work with different versions of the same basic session and then you can go back and compare them. Then again I know the difference between the various save options which apparently the OP is still learning.

I'm all for helping people when I can but sometimes I just wonder about those that come asking here.........

QAPLA!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 AM

Please just stop using Pro Tools.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:10 PM

holly cow.
You guys assume I don't know what the different save functions are for/ you assume I don't R.T.F.M / I don't know the difference in edit view with track heights. Well since none of you every really ask any questions on here and since this forum is for PT users with questions. I would conclude Im on the site to learn more about P.T so why are you guys on the site. Most of you never have questions about anything yet I read feedback from most y,all 20 /30 post before you ask a question. So do you work for AVID or do you just socialize on here to impress us all with your PT abilities.
Im just wondering because I obviously know nothing . Im more interested in sound quality than special computer tricks. I spend my time learning sound . Before we were called pro tools operators we were called audio recording engineers.
Iv read every manual cover to cover.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 PM

With replies like those why even reply.
If you guys don't like me which you obviously do not ,why even bother going out of your way to insult me on topics of which you can only assume and were wrong on all points.
Maybe you should stop using this place to show off please. since your so busy recording all those bands on your web page I would have thought you would have better things to do. I guess I was wrong. Nice monitors though, but the way your desk is angled towards would cause phase issues with standing waves and reflections. Just a thought