Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2011, 01:59 PM

Default Pro Tools wont play sound - Have tried EVERYTHING to fix this Please help!

I have done something to my Pro Tools set up cant figure out for the life of me whats wrong...

I am running a G5 Powermac with dual 1.8 processors
An original Mbox with Pro Tools 7.0
Mac OSX 10.4.11

I have had this set up for years with little or no problems. However My startup hard drive is nearly full so recently purchased a new internal hard drive.

My plan was to use this as a dedicated audio drive. As such I moved my entire Folder containing a number of Pro Tools sessions across to this new drive.

I opened Pro Tools...no issues. Press play...Pro Tools then starts the track and all the meters are moving, it looks like its playing...but absolutely no sound.

I have moved the folder containing all sessions back to my original hard drive and the problem remains. tried trashing the preferences, the digidesign databases folder including the volume ddb file and again same problem. Tried going into the workspace window and chaging the record permissions for my hard drives, I have tried going into the disk allocation and these all seem set to the correct hard drive...

Im tearing my hair out as have several projects falling badly behind now, need urgent help please!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools wont play sound - Have tried EVERYTHING to fix this Please help!

Have you tried your I/O settings? It's possible that the output section has been changed, therefore not allowing the audio to pass out of the session. If you have meter movement across all the tracks, it has to be something in the I/O section causing the problem - at least that's all I can think of.

http://www.gidakdigital.com
Old 06-23-2011, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools wont play sound - Have tried EVERYTHING to fix this Please help!

Did you check all cables, buttons, power and knobs?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:13 AM

Can we assume that your headphones and monitors are plugged in to the MBox and not the audio jack of the mac?

Also make sure the mix knob isn't fully set to input.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM

It may be that by moving stuff around, something didn't get put back in the right place.

Reinstall PT.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 AM

Do you use your Mbox as the audio interface for other programs (such as iTunes) that were not moved?

If so, do you hear audio from them?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 AM

Thank you for the replies everyone...Looked at the I/O output, seems to be all in order. When I changed drives I didnt change any cables etc...have triple checked them all and I think there all fine still.

Mix knob is in correct place and Mbox is still outputting to my studio monitors

Itunes does use the mbox as interface and is fine...which means the hardware itself works...its something within the programme

Reinstalling it seems like my one remaining option...however I only have disks for version 6.4(which is what Mbox shipped with) I updated it to 7 years ago and the download link is long since expired. Any hints how to get my version 7 download back??!!!

Sorry to be so clueless but cant help think its something relatively simple that would fix it!!...

...off to check the cables again!!