Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2017, 11:37 AM

Default Re: iLok "support"

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The first thing I did years back when I got my 11R/PT10/iLok bundle was to create my iLok account, register said iLok and pay the $30 via PayPal for ZDT. Done within 5 minutes. That $30 is the least expensive thing you will ever buy for your daw and will sure save one a lot of hassles trying to scare up license assets from a developer on the weekend.

Another way to look at it: what's easier - dealing with one point of contact for this or dealing with a couple of dozen developers? I'll take the first scenario thank you very much.
absolutely!!! had ZDT since it first became available. $30/year is peanuts.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 06-19-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post

The safest place is on Pace's server. I move every license I don't need to use there and everything when I'm taking my iLock to another studio. I also have TLC on the two machines here.

I do the same thing : if I'm moving between locations, I remove every license from the iLock, and deposit them in my account, before I leave.

The whole time I'm in transit, the iLock is just a $30 piece of plastic.

When I reach my destination, I move whichever licenses I need to use back on to my iLock.

Personally, I don't use TLC for admittedly tinfoil-hat reasons :

In the highly unlikely event that Pace were to go out of business (and I've seen way too many companies appear to be doing great business, when in fact they are already in a legal entanglement behind the scenes - only to cease trading completely, overnight), I want my perpetual licenses to remain perpetual - not stuck in a situation where after 90 days they need to be re-synced to a system that no longer exists.

Should such a situation ever arise, I'm sure any (surviving) software vendors would work out a means of getting new licenses to existing customers who had been effected, but that could get messy, and take a while to rectify.

Unlikely, sure, but just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
I bought ZDT coverage for 2 iLoks. I can only put TLC on one of them. Is that normal???
It requires iLock 2 or 3. I have it on two iLock 2s.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:12 AM

So wait. Can u not grab another ilok, and re download ur licenses?? I never lost an ilok. I'm aware of he ilok insurance. But I thought one time I was out wit my laptop, forgot a couolenwaves licenses were on my iMac, I could download those licenses away from my iMac to my ilok. But when I got back to my iMac (obviously) the licenses would then be only ilok and by my Mac. Maybe I'm totally lost in ur situation. And if ur only paying $2 for coffee, ur ONLY drinking brown water. Lol.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:06 PM

Nope, you can only put each license instance on one I-lok.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr609 View Post
So wait. Can u not grab another ilok, and re download ur licenses?? I never lost an ilok. I'm aware of he ilok insurance. But I thought one time I was out wit my laptop, forgot a couolenwaves licenses were on my iMac, I could download those licenses away from my iMac to my ilok. But when I got back to my iMac (obviously) the licenses would then be only ilok and by my Mac. Maybe I'm totally lost in ur situation. And if ur only paying $2 for coffee, ur ONLY drinking brown water. Lol.

Some iLok protected software will allow you to store iLok licenses on your computer rather than the iLok USB dongle. It is a decision made by the software developer as to whether you can store licenses on an iLok and your computer (i.e. Softube says yes, Avid says no), and from what I gather you get two of those licenses. The rub is, there is no ZDT or TLC for licenses stored on your computer. If your hard drive dies, or your computer is stolen, etc... your software licenses go with it.

iLok with ZDT and TLC is a no brainer, really. Considering how instrumental items like Pro Tools are to income, etc. $30 a year is one of the cheapest insurance policies out there.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Some iLok protected software will allow you to store iLok licenses on your computer rather than the iLok USB dongle. It is a decision made by the software developer as to whether you can store licenses on an iLok and your computer (i.e. Softube says yes, Avid says no), and from what I gather you get two of those licenses. The rub is, there is no ZDT or TLC for licenses stored on your computer. If your hard drive dies, or your computer is stolen, etc... your software licenses go with it.

iLok with ZDT and TLC is a no brainer, really. Considering how instrumental items like Pro Tools are to income, etc. $30 a year is one of the cheapest insurance policies out there.

Makes sense