Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2017, 05:46 AM

Default Re: touch screen control of PT?

It doesn't bother you guys that you can't see the 2nd set of Inserts and Sends? How do you access them?

And how any plugin (like all of Avid's) that has a smallish GUI can't be adjusted easily?

I've only had a very limited time on one, no real work, just messing around. But these were my initial impressions.

I'm also worried about all the unneeded muscle movement compared to my trackball. A human's arm weighs about 5% of their body weight, so about 10lbs or so. Isn't that a lot of weight to be holding out in front of you all day?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
+1

We have 2 Raven MTi2 and they are great with HD12 with no issues or nothing. Just make music and draw automation with your fingers etc .. pure joy

I had some Avid Artist series controllers for a while which I thought were pure garbage, but I've been babysitting a Control 24 for a while and it has been absolute magic (even if I do need to work in Pro Tools 10 to use it). 24 faders and pans, automation at your finger tips, fader flips, easy access of inserts and sends. My computer monitor regularly goes to sleep when I use it, and I can keep working with it off!

What do you think of the MTi2 compared to a larger format control surface? Something like an S3 or C24? The MTi2 is definitely appealing based on price, but it seems like i'd be staring at a screen more than ever when using it.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I had some Avid Artist series controllers for a while which I thought were pure garbage, but I've been babysitting a Control 24 for a while and it has been absolute magic (even if I do need to work in Pro Tools 10 to use it). 24 faders and pans, automation at your finger tips, fader flips, easy access of inserts and sends. My computer monitor regularly goes to sleep when I use it, and I can keep working with it off!

What do you think of the MTi2 compared to a larger format control surface? Something like an S3 or C24? The MTi2 is definitely appealing based on price, but it seems like i'd be staring at a screen more than ever when using it.
We have a SSL4000G+ 48 channel console we use pretty much every day and we have just sold off a D Control 32 ES and a C24 and they both are great but as we use our big desk we have the Ravens setup so we can use them as DAW controller and mix on the console so for us the MTi2's are a great choice.

I would say as we have a console the touch thingy isn't that big of an issue but I know there are people who find the whole touch mixing off somehow. I can relate as i almost didn't use the ravens at first but now i use them all the time

For $999 each not many 27" multi touch screens can "touch" them imho

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-04-2017, 08:00 AM

I'm using two 30inch dell touchscreens. They are positioned left of my S6m40 48 fader console. And previous was next to an icon d control 48 fader console. The avid surface is way better than touch screen. Not even close. I can draw and automate on touchscreen but it's a screen. You can't hold the fader. It's not the same.

In fact what I do now sometimes is minimize edit window when I mix. So I am using only my ears and the console. Not looking at waveforms on screen in front of me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post

So I am using only my ears and the console. Not looking at waveforms on screen in front of me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
a breath of fresh air !!!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 05-04-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
a breath of fresh air !!!!
Very good thinking there !!

Something for all the "DJ" "producers" of today ... but will never happen as long as they have a "studio" = Laptop (Macbook) and LIVE9 hehe

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-04-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
It doesn't bother you guys that you can't see the 2nd set of Inserts and Sends? How do you access them?

And how any plugin (like all of Avid's) that has a smallish GUI can't be adjusted easily?

I've only had a very limited time on one, no real work, just messing around. But these were my initial impressions.

I'm also worried about all the unneeded muscle movement compared to my trackball. A human's arm weighs about 5% of their body weight, so about 10lbs or so. Isn't that a lot of weight to be holding out in front of you all day?
This was certainly a nuisance when I was using DTouch software on a touchscreen last year. You could change view to see the extra stuff temporarily, but that was one of many reasons I dropped the touchscreen and went back to controllers. For me, a 32 fader D[Command or a C24 would be a nice move, but I just don't NEED either to make records

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-04-2017, 11:37 AM

Default Re: touch screen control of

Not quite in the Raven league but useful nevertheless is Duet Display used in conjunction with an iPad -

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=387805

A colleague who is using this when away from trashcan Mac Pro and working remotely on Macbook has recently contacted the developers re. DaVinci Resolve integration and they confirmed that they're working on it ... so they could surely do the same for Pro Tools, especially if this community showed interest and maybe worked with them on a wish list? :)
Old 05-04-2017, 07:47 PM

I've got a raven. I've gotta MTi 1 actually. Early adopter. I don't miss my second set of inserts and sends. I'm very rarely more than 4 deep. And if I am, they're still on my edit screen. Which lives on my 27" iMac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk