Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2013, 09:26 PM

Default Protools 10.3.8 is here but still not qualified and recommended for OSX10.9 Mavericks

Version 10.3.8 is officially qualified and recommended for:
Pro Tools|HDX systems on Mac OS X 10.7-10.7.5, 10.8, 10.8.2 to 10.8.5 or Windows 7 SP1 (details)
Pro Tools|HD Native systems on Mac OS X 10.6.7-10.7.5, 10.8, 10.8.2 to 10.8.5, or Windows 7 SP1 (details)
Pro Tools|HD Native Thunderbolt systems on Mac OS X 10.7.5, 10.8, 10.8.2 to 10.8.5 (details)
Pro Tools|HD Accel systems on Mac OS X 10.6.7-10.7.5, 10.8, 10.8.2 to 10.8.5 or Windows 7 SP1
Pro Tools systems on Mac OS X 10.6.7-10.7.5, 10.8, 10.8.2 to 10.8.5 or Windows 7 SP1
Note: Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) is NOT supported with Pro Tools 10.3.x co-install. There are known issues (details)

I see it says NOT supported for co-install on Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), but neither does it say supported at all. "It's a swing and a miss. Strike!" But at least it is a weak attempt to keep Protools 10 alive and kicking. As of today, all I've read is people with installation problems so I'm holding off on the download. "Strike two - looking." ...

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-26-2013, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Protools 10.3.8 is here but still not qualified and recommended for OSX10.9 Maver

Amazing!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Protools 10.3.8 is here but still not qualified and recommended for OSX10.9 Maver

PT10 uninstaller does not work with Mavericks, that's why Avid cannot support it.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
PT10 uninstaller does not work with Mavericks, that's why Avid cannot support it.
Which still means don't use Protools 10.3.8 with Mavericks if you want full support from Avid (as in using for your livelihood). If you are working on a project that is important (and what project isn't), Avid is still not recommending using this combination. If you are in the process of running PT10 and transitioning to PT11, you can't co-install PT10 & PT11 on Mavericks so you need to have separate boot partitions or separate boot drives running Mavericks. Or do as I'm doing for now, stay on Mountain Lion for Protools 10 until this gets sorted out. Poor Avid, they really got put in a tugh spot by this release of Apple OSX Mavericks.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 12-30-2013, 09:33 AM

Thought I'd chime in here guys…

I just did a clean install of Mavericks 10.9.1 on a new HD this weekend. Installed PT 10.3.8 along with the usual arsenal of software and plug-ins, Waves, Slate, Reason, etc.

At this time I have had NO issues with being able to run 10.3.8 and added software/plug-ins on Mavericks. All of my previous sessions open and function properly. All editing, mixing, recording appears to run without issue at this point.

The only issue to note is with the NEW driver ver.11 for the DIGI003+. The ver.11 driver does not function properly and causes sessions to "CPU error" at random intervals. It does, however, allow monitoring of any outside audio source while being in a PT session which is nice. You also can now monitor "web" audio while in or out of a session. The "old" ver. 10 driver required you to quit a session to monitor in iTunes, Quicktime, Safari(if you were lucky), etc.

Not that I generally surf the web on my PT setup but when a client needs me to have access to other audio/video sources and I can't monitor them correctly its always a pain.

I was able to uninstall the ver.11 driver, using the AVID driver uninstaller, and install the ver.10 driver. All was well after the ver.10 driver was installed. No issues. Obviously should I have needed to do a complete PT uninstall I may have had major headaches and issues as it has been noted that the uninstaller for PT10 does not function in Mavericks.

To sum up I basically had a new hard drive and some extra time on my hands this weekend. I was in the process of getting ready to do a fresh install of OS X 10.8.5 when I decided to try Mavericks being it's a FREE download and install from Apple. The only cost for me was the obvious software install and overall test time involved. My "Original" system and PT hard drive was left untouched as this was done on a second drive. The goal was an attempt to investigate what my transition from OS X's and PT's 10/11 will entail along with the other plug-in/software that need to follow along. Basically all my required essentials are all functioning. The shops open so to speak.

Anyone else out there with success or failure on Mavericks and PT 10 by all means chime in. I am curious as to what others experience may be. I am not desiring to hang on to PT 10 forever and will eventually make the switch to PT11 when the rest of my software(s) become compatible. For now at least I have an idea what works and what doesn't.
Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.1
Digi003R+
Old 12-30-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahddub View Post
Thought I'd chime in here guys…

I just did a clean install of Mavericks 10.9.1 on a new HD this weekend. Installed PT 10.3.8 along with the usual arsenal of software and plug-ins, Waves, Slate, Reason, etc.

At this time I have had NO issues with being able to run 10.3.8 and added software/plug-ins on Mavericks. All of my previous sessions open and function properly. All editing, mixing, recording appears to run without issue at this point.

The only issue to note is with the NEW driver ver.11 for the DIGI003+. The ver.11 driver does not function properly and causes sessions to "CPU error" at random intervals. It does, however, allow monitoring of any outside audio source while being in a PT session which is nice. You also can now monitor "web" audio while in or out of a session. The "old" ver. 10 driver required you to quit a session to monitor in iTunes, Quicktime, Safari(if you were lucky), etc.

Not that I generally surf the web on my PT setup but when a client needs me to have access to other audio/video sources and I can't monitor them correctly its always a pain.

I was able to uninstall the ver.11 driver, using the AVID driver uninstaller, and install the ver.10 driver. All was well after the ver.10 driver was installed. No issues. Obviously should I have needed to do a complete PT uninstall I may have had major headaches and issues as it has been noted that the uninstaller for PT10 does not function in Mavericks.

To sum up I basically had a new hard drive and some extra time on my hands this weekend. I was in the process of getting ready to do a fresh install of OS X 10.8.5 when I decided to try Mavericks being it's a FREE download and install from Apple. The only cost for me was the obvious software install and overall test time involved. My "Original" system and PT hard drive was left untouched as this was done on a second drive. The goal was an attempt to investigate what my transition from OS X's and PT's 10/11 will entail along with the other plug-in/software that need to follow along. Basically all my required essentials are all functioning. The shops open so to speak.

Anyone else out there with success or failure on Mavericks and PT 10 by all means chime in. I am curious as to what others experience may be. I am not desiring to hang on to PT 10 forever and will eventually make the switch to PT11 when the rest of my software(s) become compatible. For now at least I have an idea what works and what doesn't.
Thanks for the encouraging input! G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-01-2014, 07:46 AM

Dragon,

I do agree with you on those 10.3.8 fixes, those first 4 are what prompted me to start to consider updating my PT. The bigger thing was looking at my OS and trying to find fixes in the OSX updates that would justify the change. Not to Mavericks, as I don't need that right now but to 10.8.5.

From a professional stand point, I see why some clients would want you to have the latest and greatest. I'm no longer in this business as my sole income, but was for years in the past. I always found that clients were always much more happy with stability. System crashes during sessions not only result in awkward conversations, but can taint your reputation.

LIke most of us here, I'm a tech nerd and always want to fiddle. The years spent in PC world taught me alot about messing around with something that's working. As mentioned by others, there are tonnes of users still using G4's with TDM rigs and getting great results. If the client is more concerned about the fact that you're not running the latest version of PT's and the latest OSX update their priorities in the studio are skewed. Not saying that it isn't important for the client, and those people are out there. But what comes through the monitors and is printed to disk should be their biggest concern.

So I guess my question is now, I've seen users running PT10.3.8 on OSX 10.8.5; are there any users that have had luck on OSX 10.8.2? I need to get the cash for the new OWC t-bolt Raid enclosure so I can run a bootable disk off there for testing Then I can join the beta test crew

Happy New Years gang! Here's to another great year of support, updates, headaches, and rock & roll!
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 01-01-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
Dragon,

I do agree with you on those 10.3.8 fixes, those first 4 are what prompted me to start to consider updating my PT. The bigger thing was looking at my OS and trying to find fixes in the OSX updates that would justify the change. Not to Mavericks, as I don't need that right now but to 10.8.5.

From a professional stand point, I see why some clients would want you to have the latest and greatest. I'm no longer in this business as my sole income, but was for years in the past. I always found that clients were always much more happy with stability. System crashes during sessions not only result in awkward conversations, but can taint your reputation.

LIke most of us here, I'm a tech nerd and always want to fiddle. The years spent in PC world taught me alot about messing around with something that's working. As mentioned by others, there are tonnes of users still using G4's with TDM rigs and getting great results. If the client is more concerned about the fact that you're not running the latest version of PT's and the latest OSX update their priorities in the studio are skewed. Not saying that it isn't important for the client, and those people are out there. But what comes through the monitors and is printed to disk should be their biggest concern.

So I guess my question is now, I've seen users running PT10.3.8 on OSX 10.8.5; are there any users that have had luck on OSX 10.8.2? I need to get the cash for the new OWC t-bolt Raid enclosure so I can run a bootable disk off there for testing Then I can join the beta test crew

Happy New Years gang! Here's to another great year of support, updates, headaches, and rock & roll!
I am not disagreeing with you. I still work with facilities that use 2" tape and they create some great mixes. In my workflow however, most of it is done in the box and therefore the computer and software are the focal point of what the client sees. They are involved with the entire production and looking over my shoulder during tracking and mixing. (I do however have them take the mixed product for professional finalizing elsewhere).

I agree with what you say about stability. This is why I have my "beta" system where I load new OSs, software, drivers, plugins, etc. for testing and a good workout and only those that are ready for "primetime" get installed on my production system. Both system are fully backed up (cloned) and ready to be rebuilt should any thing go wrong. My goal is to be as up to date as possible but also as stable as possible.

I do swap out my hard drive in my Macbook Pro if needed. I can do it in about 5-7 minutes. Faster if I don't use all the tiny screws but I always do. I'm kinda OCD so that way.

BTW, Happy New Year everyone. May you make great music and prosper this year.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 01-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
My goal is to be as up to date as possible but also as stable as possible.
Always good if you can occasionally take time out to test stuff by yourself, and only let your clients see the stable system. I do this all the time.

...and have found out that there are few special combinations that excel in stability:

- PT 6.4.1 / OSX 10.3.4
- PT 8.1.1 / OSX 10.6.8
- PT 10.3.6 / OSX 10.8.4

It looks like we will have a winner with PT11/Mavericks as well, but I'm not yet comfortable to put it into this list.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Always good if you can occasionally take time out to test stuff by yourself, and only let your clients see the stable system. I do this all the time.

...and have found out that there are few special combinations that excel in stability:

- PT 6.4.1 / OSX 10.3.4
- PT 8.1.1 / OSX 10.6.8
- PT 10.3.6 / OSX 10.8.4

It looks like we will have a winner with PT11/Mavericks as well, but I'm not yet comfortable to put it into this list.
Have some spare time today (due to a failed backcountry ski trip last night for New Years) Wish I would've saw this post before I started. Just did a 10.8.5 OSX upgrade on my test drive, ran PT 10.3.2 fine (with the exception of my Waves plugs because I forgot to send them to the cloud to test on this system)

JFreak, you found 10.8.4 to be the better option than 10.8.5? Did you try that os with PT 10.3.8? In the process of Downloading PT 10.3.8 to test on the test drive. Is there a problem with the uninstall if you're not on mavericks yet?
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors