Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2000, 02:53 PM

Default Re: PC - vs - Mac -- A Breakdown For Everyone

Justin@Drastik, the hardest working man in DAW's....

What's up?

Old 12-01-2000, 12:38 AM

Just from experience on hard drives, go with IBM. Their hard drive perfromance at 7200 RPM is better than anyone else, especially int heir new XGP model, and they go up to 75 gb. Stay away from Western Digital! I myself have lost two WD drives to all-out failures, and I know others who have had the same problems. In general, the product that IBM storage has been turning out in the last six months has been astounding. I have a 30 gb and 45 gb, and a 75 gb on order... and they're quiet for their speed and capacity.
Old 12-01-2000, 08:30 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Digi9000000:
Stay away from Western Digital! I myself have lost two WD drives to all-out failures, and I know others who have had the same problems.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's funny(read "confusing")how we all have different expierences with the same gear... I've been using WD drives for years with great success. Their included software makes installation a breeze.

Old 12-02-2000, 03:59 PM

I picked up a Dell 4100 this week. Cost me fourteen hundred bucks from their website. PIII, 866mHz, 256 megs of RAM, no idea what BIOS. Got a Digi 001 this morning, and I've been putting it through its paces all day. So far, no problems -- other than minor interface issues (you can tell the guys who wrote the GUI don't spend a lot of time in front of a PC -- things look a little ...odd... at times). But it runs great and sounds smoove, and that's what counts, right?
Old 12-04-2000, 09:18 PM

"I grew up around PCs then bought a mac, used opcode and free midi in conjuction with one another, built a opcode picture of my studio and MIDI connections, clicked test studio, pushed some notes on my MIDI controller and my computer said to me "midi recieved""

...and then Opcode said "sorry, can't stay in business long enough to grow with you, good luck out there on your own"

Good thing Digi and MOTU are there to give you good, solid Mac based software and hardware to keep you going.

Photoshop, written expressly to take advantage of dual-CPU, is not a DAW. So far, only Cubase has written code to properly divy-up the CPUs. Every one else is playing catch-up until OS X comes out in January, then it's back to the drawing board.

Don't kid yourself - both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses. Just because you've had bad experiences with PCs doesn't make PCs bad.

Even Apple went ATX in their motherboard design, and switched to IDE to save money. A G4 case allows for only a Zip drive - no CD-RW, no room for Kingston drive carriers or other expansion without going external, which for audio requires a SCSI card and external components, which is what keeps Glyph in business. Doesn't that then qualify as "custom"?

To label PC components "crap" is ludicrous in light of the fact that Apple uses ATI video cards (like many PCs), Maxtor IDE hard drives (like many PCs), Sony CD-ROM drives and CRTs (just like many PC companies, including Sony VAIO)

As for the 64-bit architecture, Motorola developed it, not Apple. And Intel has a 64 bit CPU in the works. OS X is based on Unix and NeXt, and is not truly an Apple innovation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not down on Apple. I'm typing ths on a PowerBook G3, which I also use as a powerful Pro Tools portable system w/ a Magma expansion chassis. I also have a killer rack-mount Pro Tools NT system running on Intel, and they both kick ass.

You really ought to open your mind to the possiblity that one solution does not work for everybody, and what's best for you might not neccessarily be best for someone else.

As for your comment about Drastik Solutions, remember that without snakes there would be no mongoose, and that competition benefits consumers - or did your buy your Mac at List Price from the Apple store?

-gil "mongoose" griffith
Wave Digital Systems

Old 12-04-2000, 11:50 PM

Pc vs mac - what a novel idea. It seems we have reached the apex of our creativity with this thread. Do a search on pc -vs - mac and read for the next 2 weeks why Ford is better than Chevy. Dogs are better than cats. Chocolate is better than vanilla. Blues is better than rock and Captain Kirk is better than Spock. Give me a freaking break and beam me up Scotty! No intelligent life on this planet!

P.S. My computer is faster than your computer and my dad can kick your dad's ass. BTW if you're getting a mac PTLE doesnt benefit from the dual processor.
Old 12-05-2000, 12:09 AM

Personally
i would buy a mac, this is what macs are made for, i am sorry but PC's have 32 bit architecture, macs have 64, this makes everything faster, they are more expensive, I was looking around a PC's for my 001 for almost six monthes I looked at Drastic pup waveaudio, all that custom expensive crap, I have seen many of these costume cumputers fall apart, six monthes and I ended up with a mac and I am so much amped on having it, I used to hate macs, I grew up around PCs then bought a mac, used opcode and free midi in conjuction with one another, built a opcode picture of my studio and MIDI connections, clicked test studio, pushed some notes on my MIDI controller and my computer said to me "midi recieved". For art based uses a macintosh G4 400 mghz is identically as fast a a PC 1 gighrtz. this was clocked for an adobe photoshop function.
alright enough already,
ignore little snakes in the grass trying to make money on the DUC named drastikduck
Old 12-05-2000, 08:47 AM

"Photoshop, written expressly to take advantage of dual-CPU, is not a DAW. So far, only Cubase has written code to properly divy-up the CPUs. Every one else is playing catch-up until OS X comes out in January, then it's back to the drawing board."

Not true. Emagic has MP optimization, as well as a number of the softsynth companies. From what I've seen of Logic benchmarks, you will get comparable plugins between a 500mhz G4 and a 1 gig pentium. But yes, Digi needs to get and gear and optimize for both MP and altivec.

And since when is a peripheral "custom" just because it's external?

Mike
Old 12-05-2000, 09:27 AM

I stand corrected:

"Photoshop, written expressly to take advantage of dual-CPU, is not a DAW. So far, only Cubase *and Emagic* have written code to properly divy-up the CPUs. Every one else is playing catch-up until OS X comes out in January, then it's back to the drawing board."

>And since when is a peripheral "custom" just because it's external?

My point is that it can't be ordered as a "standard" item within the G4, because the G4 chassis' designers chose form over function. And Glyph gear is custom in that you can put it together six ways come Sunday - CD-RW/DLT/Kingston Carrier, or 2 Kingston, 1 CD-RW, 1 DLT, or what have you. It's not a standard configuration.

But I have the feeling that no matter what I have to share, you will take the contrary opinion.

So I'll just make it easy on you. I say:

"Black"
Old 12-05-2000, 01:12 PM

Got 001 on Pc. It works fine, then I found out all the plug-ins I wanted are not available. If I could go back I would get the mac. Plus I've heard they're more quiet. I know that eventually there will be pc versions of the plug-ins I was interested in however, I've always liked "now" more than "eventually"