Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 09-10-2022, 07:14 AM

Default Mbox Not Updating with Current Driver

Hello everyone, i just updated my iMac 27" late 2013 model to OS Catalina 10.15.7 and now my Mbox3 mini tab is grayed out with a slash through it.

I downloaded the latest driver which still didnt fix it. did i just screw myself by updating my os?
Old 09-10-2022, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Mbox Not Updating with Current Driver

so i did some reading and it looks like i did screw myself for my pro tools and my mbox
Old 09-10-2022, 08:25 AM

Time to buy a new interface. The Focusrite 2i2 is similar to the mini and a common beginner interface. But there are many many good choices out there with many different options/capabilities/price points from vendors like (in no specific order): UAD, Apogee, RME, Motu, Focusrite, Presonus.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the help darryl, pretty bummed that i screwed myself like that. i actually have a gift card for sweet water so i guess ill be using it for a new interface. i will check out that focusrite you recommended.

also, i cant open pro tools anymore either. i had pro tools version 11.3.1.370

did i screw myself with running protools also?
Old 09-11-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude84 View Post
i cant open pro tools anymore either. i had pro tools version 11.3.1.370 did i screw myself with running protools also?
Yep. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart You will need to upgrade to a later version via a subscription or upgraded perpetual license. You should be able to get help from your Sweetwater rep to explain the options you have. You might want to consider the lower cost Pro Tools Artist subscription [edit: correction your macOS Catalina can run the latest versions of Pro Tools Artist and Studio, so that's a positive.]. A sales rep is the best place to talk this through.

In addition to upgrading macOS before checking if your interface or Pro Tools will work I'm also going to guess you upgraded macOS in-situ (i.e. did not do a full clean macOS install), I would not do that, Avid has recommended against in-situ updates in the past. Safer to do clean installs and reinstall Pro Tools, drivers and plugins etc. for major macOS upgrades.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-11-2022 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yep. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart You will need to upgrade to a later version via a subscription or upgraded perpetual license. You should be able to get help from your Sweetwater rep to explain the options you have. You might want to consider the lower cost Pro Tools Artist subscription for example if you can upgrade your macOS to later versions than you have now... otherwise you need to upgrade your perpetual license to the current version and though that also get the ability to run older versions. A sales rep is the best place to talk this through.

In addition to upgrading macOS before checking if your interface or Pro Tools will work I'm also going to guess you upgraded macOS in-situ (i.e. did not do a full clean macOS install), I would not do that, Avid has recommended against in-situ updates in the past. Safer to do clean installs and reinstall Pro Tools, drivers and plugins etc. for major macOS upgrades.
thanks for you help again darryl, i am actually not sure what your saying at all as far as the way i upgraded my mac os. i just hit the update button from the app store, thats about all i can tell you lol. i will have to look into what your talking about so i can not make the same mistakes next time.

i will be contacting sweet water tomorrow to see what they can do for me. hopefully its not gonna cost that much. there's no way I'm getting a new computer though lol.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:49 PM

OK I get you upgraded your Mac to 10.15.x/Catalina, the last version it supports. We don't know why you did that, might have been a hard need there, but remember one option might be to downgrade back to what you were running (hopefully you have a backup, or if not make a backup now to be safe, and you'll be doing a full clean macOS install to start over). Otherwise you are looking at a new interface and newer version of Pro Tools... but Catalina does get you to the most recent 2022.7 versions of Pro Tools Studio or Pro Tools Ultimate. And so you have a choice there to use a subscription (for Pro Tools Artist or Studio) or buy a perpetual upgrade to Pro Tools Studio. Make sure your system meets the minimum requirements of recent Pro Tools releases as well, especially memory

---

Just doing the usual upgrade like you did (what we call the in-situ upgrade) takes all the stuff you have on disk and overlays the new version of macOS onto of it. That usually works OK... except when it does not. The more complex/old all the software, the more previous in-situ upgrades you have done... the more risk you take that this might run into problems. You end up with a system that looks less and less like the clean macOS installs that Avid developed and tested Pro Tools on. So for more major updates at least I'd do a clean install.

And another reason for not doing an in-situ install, maybe the best reason for many users, is that you don't just blow up what you have that is already running. Instead leave that as is and do the new macOS install onto another volume on the current boot drive if there is enough space to create another volume, or on an external drive. Then boot from that, install all the software you want there and only if that all works then you might move over user files, sessions etc. and maybe then delete the original boot partition, clone the new one back over it, or keep the original for a while to see if problems pop up. Lots of choices... other than shooting yourself in the foot/head.

And for these clean installs you use the same installer downloaded from the App Store but where it presents the current boot drive there is a "show other drives" button, click that and you can do a full clean macOS install to an empty drive or partition instead of the default updating your current boot drive. See screenshot.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:50 PM

..installer screenshot..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 2.30.34 PM.jpg (20.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-11-2022, 06:15 PM

darryl, thanks so much for all that info. i will keep that in mind next time. there was absolutely no need for me to update my os, i just did it for some reason. i had totally forgotten that my mbox wouldn't work. i now remember my sweetwater rep telling me not to go further than i was, but that was a few years back.

at least I'm just a at home musician who records very little and just for fun so i don't need an expensive interface.

i do run time machine on my external hd so i guess i could look into going back to my previous os, just not sure how to do that or if its even worth it at this point? might be easier to just get that new interface, especially since i have a gift card for sweetwater. i wanted to buy some harmonicas to jam some tom petty along with my acoustic, but i still will
Old 09-12-2022, 07:11 AM

There might be a possible option with this 3rd party audio driver:
Plyotec USB Audio Driver

It's 59 euros, and cheaper than getting a new interface.
I used it myself, many moons ago, to extend the life of a Mbox1 by some years. Worked good, good support, and just sits in the background and does its job.

It's supposed to work on Catalina, and there's a demo, so it should be done in a jiffy to tell if it works for you or not.