Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-30-2005, 10:00 AM

Default really frustrated

Ok, so here's the deal. I now have a pertty good setup goes: M-Box, samson resolv 65a's with 100w subwoofer, and protools LE 6.7. I started using John Petrucci's solo album as a model in order to test the speakers, sub, etc. However, i'm very frustrated with mixing my music. The output meter for him goes straight up to the clip line and stays there, never going past it. HOw do you get the level to stay pushed yet keep if from going over like that? THe individual instruments just sound better too. So I'm also wondering just how to compress individual instruments, or limit them, or whatever needs to be done. HIs songs are much louder, pack an incredible punch, and at the same time aren't overpowering. When I mix, my songs end up with no punch or definition, yet they still have overpowering bass. Do you guys perhaps know what I can try. Are there any settings you guys use with the EQ's or compressors that would be a good place to start? There just seems to be no fidelity in my recordings. Do you guys know what I am talking about?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: really frustrated

Quote:
HOw do you get the level to stay pushed yet keep if from going over like that?
Generally speaking, eq, and very heavy compression and limiting performed by a third party mastering engineer.

Quote:
THe individual instruments just sound better too.
That could be for any number of engineering/production reasons: better performances on better instruments through better mics with better pres with better eq's mixed on a better system by a better engineer for starters. But don't get down on yourself...always strive to get better and you will.

To see if it's merely mastering that's holding your stuff back, send me a tune to master for you (no charge, I help the new guys out all the time like this). I won't be able to get around to it until later next week though. If anything, I might be able to offer some advice based on what I hear.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 06-30-2005, 10:42 AM

satchvai,
Quote:
Do you guys know what I am talking about?
...we sure do.
The answer/solution isn't a quick do this, do that kind of thing.
This very topic has been brought up here many, many times. Please try a search for > mastering/loudness/mix levels...etc
Hard to pinpoint, without hearing some samples of the mixes.
You'll find many users here will lend you a guiding hand, just post a short example...

good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 06-30-2005, 12:17 PM

Thanks alot for the offer. If I send you the protools file would you be able to mix and master to a track and perhaps also give me the protools file back with the changes you made so i could get some sort of idea of what you did to make it sound better. How would I go about posting and/or posting? Thanks alot.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:59 PM

I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to dedicate to it...but we'll see.

Finalize all the edits in the session, then perform a 'save session copy in' choosing to copy all associated audio files. Then close the current session, open the new one, toss all unused files (delete), select the remaining regions and perform a 'compact selected' leaving about a one second buffer. Close the session and pro tools. Look in the new location and delete the fade files folder. Then use winrar to compress the whole thing down into 1 gig files and send them to me using yousendit.com.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 06-30-2005, 06:32 PM

I'll try to follow the instructions..i'm not quite sure how to do that stuff. Do i then post it on yousendit or do you have an address to send it to? Would I be able to mail it to you as an alternative? For that i guess i would just throw the song folder in a disc, right?
Old 06-30-2005, 08:42 PM

You could send it through the mail if you wanted...but it'll take longer to get to me.

All the functions I talked about are easily found by using the search function of adobe reader when viewing the PT reference guide...except for compressing it using winrar.

To use yousendit, just use the e-mail address in my profile or at my website.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:59 PM

Since it is such a busy time for me (finishing thesis for Grad. School), I think it might be easier for me to just throw it on a CD (the whole song folder). Then, if you would, you can send them back to me online or back through the mail. I listened to some of the studd on your website and it sounds great! If I could just get a look at some of the things you would do to my song I think that would provide me with a solid foundation. As of now, I just have no idea how to give a mix the "finished" sound. If you'd like, you can send your mailing address to my email [email protected] I really appreciate you taking the time to help a noobie out!
Old 07-02-2005, 09:01 AM

Quote:
HOw do you get the level to stay pushed yet keep if from going over like that?
You need something like the HEDD 192 from www.cranesong.com

This will get you there.

Allen