Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2017, 01:01 PM

Default Link track selection from edit window to mix window?

I've recently added a 40" display mounted on the wall above my main monitor. I like to keep my edit window in the desk monitor and my mix window above me on the wall.

I was wondering if there was anyway to link my track selection in the edit window to the mix window, so that when I click on a track to edit, that track will center itself (or something) in the mix window. Obviously it highlights it, but thats not super useful.

I'm working on a fairly large session for a film score, about 90 tracks, and scrolling left and right is getting cumbersome (but still much better than doing it on a smaller monitor). It would be nice to have my mix window move so that when I'm editing a track, that fader will be highlighted and centered directly above me.

Seems like this would be a fairly obvious feature to turn on/off depending on your work flow. But I haven't seen anything like it so I'm guessing it doesn't exist.

Has anyone with a similar work flow figured out a workaround?
32 GB Ram
Syphony i/o 8x8
Old 01-15-2017, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Link track selection from edit window to mix window?

Memory Locations might help : time property "none" , general properties "track show/hide" and "track height".
Show only 10 tracks (maybe an instrument group like brass or percussion), adjust their track height (to fit the window), assign a mem loc. Do the same for the other 80 tracks.

Or : right click on the track name in the edit window and choose "scroll into view".
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 01-15-2017, 02:25 PM

Take a look at Slate's Batch Commander. It seems capable of giving you some handy shortcuts, plus a ton of other goodies(I am still chomping at the bit for them to release the windows version)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-16-2017, 10:08 AM

There's a new setting in Preferences for PT 12.7 about Mouse Wheel Scrolling Snaps To Track. Page 108 of the PT 12.7 Reference Guide. This may be or may be close to what you're looking for.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-16-2017, 10:22 AM

If you Control+Shift click on the track name, it will scroll the Mix and Edit windows so that it is the viewed at the left of the Mix window and top of the Edit window. The same thing can be done by pressing Option+Command+F (Scroll to Track) then entering the desired track number. Of course, that method is only useful if you have enabled Track Number from the View menu.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:03 AM

Default Link track selection from edit window to mix window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
There's a new setting in Preferences for PT 12.7 about Mouse Wheel Scrolling Snaps To Track. Page 108 of the PT 12.7 Reference Guide. This may be or may be close to what you're looking for.

I let my subscription run out a day before they released 12.7. I thought no way another update was coming that soon. I kept telling myself I wasn't missing any new features. Now you've proved my wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
32 GB Ram
Syphony i/o 8x8
Old 01-16-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTPhillip View Post
If you Control+Shift click on the track name, it will scroll the Mix and Edit windows so that it is the viewed at the left of the Mix window and top of the Edit window.
Yes+1

Wasn't sure if this worked without a Control Surface but yes this is a very handy trick.....

Also if you have a surface it will put that track that you Cntrl/Shift clicked on, in the leftmost fader!!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:37 PM

Yeah, I was aware of that shortcut, but on a 40" display, far left for the mix window is pretty far. I know it sounds picky, but I wish there was a similar short cut to center it on the display. That way I could just whip my mouse right up to it. I suppose this will have to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
32 GB Ram
Syphony i/o 8x8