Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 AM

Default presonus tube pre amp \"tube\"

I'm using a presonus tube pre amp, can anybody reccomend a better tube to place in the unit. I'm looking for a tube that give me min. distortion.

Thanks,
Edson
Old 01-19-2007, 08:25 AM

Default Re: presonus tube pre amp \"tube\"

Are you looking for a different color glow? I don't think you'll get much more milage out of those cheap tube pre-amps.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Are you looking for a different color glow? I don't think you'll get much more milage out of those cheap tube pre-amps.
I have a Presonus BlueTube pre, and i think it sounds fairly decent considering the price. It certainly sounds way better than the pres in my 002. I realize that's not saying much, but it's something. Anyway, it should work...

Edson, without checking, I believe you posted something about this in the LE Forum a few days ago? I read it, and think that you really shouldn't be getting any distortion through your pre. Which make/model of preamp is it? Are the meters distorting when you send it a signal, or do they appear to be fine and it's only the recorded signal that's distorted?

You should really try and be as specific as possible with regards to the kind of pre it is, how you're setting it up, and how you're connecting it to your interface. Perhaps then somebody will have an idea that may be helpful...

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 01-19-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:

I have a Presonus BlueTube pre, and i think it sounds fairly decent considering the price. It certainly sounds way better than the pres in my 002. I realize that's not saying much, but it's something. Anyway, it should work...
I agree, some of the cheaper pre-amps are good but it's not because of the tube in most cases. Anyone remember those horrendous DBX units? they made one with a spdif a/d and when i had a digi001 I bought it to expand on my i/o. yes i clocked off it and yes it was putrid aweful. The less you used the "toob" the better it sounded.

This is classic...
http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

remember... behringer doesn't innovate.. they copy.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:20 AM

he he- that's funny