Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Pro Tools Tutorial Books and Videos

I was wondering if anyone on here has used a Pro Tools LE tutorial book or video that they would realy recomend me using.

I got alot of experience using Logic, and a little bit in PT, i just wanna know if there are any realy good tutorials that i can buy that will get me up to speed with the PT interface.

I saw one on amazon that has a DVD with it, where some guy actualy shows you how to use it via videos, looks good but its expensive.

Any suggestions or recomendations would be much apreaciated!

thanx in advance
Old 06-13-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Tutorial Books and Videos

"Producing in the Home Studio with Pro Tools" by David Franz

This book is an excellent starting place. It covers the basics of the program and the basics to operating a studio. Easy to follow and understand.

...There is plenty of material out there. If you're more of a visual learner, go with something more video oriented. My suggestion is strictly reading with a few short video snipits on CD-rom. "Google" search the subject of your thread. Pick something that you feel you'll get the most out of. Good Luck Jason and have fun on your PT endeavors.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:01 PM

Check out this website, might be handy for what you are looking for.....

http://www.protoolsvideos.com/
Old 06-13-2005, 04:49 PM

I bought a tutorial from Virtual Training Company and found it incredibly useful. You have to start somewhere; it was expensive but I consider it a valuable investment.

http://www.vtc.com/

If you decide to buy one from them make sure you get the newer one that covers PT version 6.

just my 2 cents
Old 06-13-2005, 07:23 PM

hey guys!

thanx very much for the fast replys.

the VTC one is the video one that i saw on amazon, its about £80 tho which is quite abit. How good are all the videos? I've watched a couple of the free trail ones from the website and they seem to be quite good. I noticed the videos were all Mac based, so do the VTC offer an XP version? Also, does the VTC one cover things like keyboard shortcuts and general good ways of working, rather than just detailing every idividual feature?

If you could give me as much info about this as your have time for that'd be realy great, cos it does look like a good option.

The Pro Tools Videos one seems nice cos it uses XP, but it seems alittle too slow paced for me, i found myself losing concentration on the free trial ones cos he was going too slow.

What i'm realy looking for is a great tutorial video/book that teaches me how to use ProTools quickly and effieciently, and teaches me how to use the great features, rather than somthing that describes how there are 4 beats in a bar, or tells me what a low shelf does, cos i already got that down, its just the ProTools thing that i'm new too

Thanx for your replys guys, and any further commments or help would be great.

thanx again!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:41 PM

You’ll be able to skip around as you like. I found all the videos helpful. The guy gives all the keyboard shortcuts and procedures for both platforms. He uses a mac throughout but I think it will be equally valuable to any pc user. The bottom line is that I went from zero to functional in a short time. scary--I’m starting to sound like somebody’s paying me!
Anyway, you get the idea.
Have fun!
Old 06-15-2005, 05:53 PM

I subscribed to protoolsvideos the first two months after I bought my first protools rig a few months ago.

I felt it really helped me to get on my feet with protools--even more than the Franz book. I may subscribe again in a few months (after they have loaded up with more videos to watch).
Old 06-16-2005, 12:21 AM

Musician's Guide to Pro Tools, by John Keane. It's about the best book (with accompanying CD) on PT LE there is. It's a walkthrough by an experienced veteran in the field, a hands-on training on the practical aspects by a pro rather than a catch-all manual by a journalist/professor. You will find it at amazon and will not regret it. I don't think it's very expensive, either.

Also, if you want videos, have you checked out the Digiflix quicktime movies at this very site? They are quite concise and informative in the basics you need to know about PT LE.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:40 PM

thanx for all the suggestions guys!

The musicians guide to protools sounds good, got a great review in a sound on sound artical i found on the web. It says it comes with a CD that includes a PT session, is the idea of this that you can use this session to do what he tells you to do in the book, in order to get used to using it practicaly?

strangly, the Version 6 edition of it isn't stocked on amazon, but i'm sure i can find it somwhere else.

I do like the sound of the one with the videos tho, i think i prefer being shown what to do rather than reading it, but i dunno if its possible to run the tutorial video whilst actualy using PT?

also the online subscriby ones sound good, and if there are new videos coming out soon i might wait for that.

again, thanx for all the suggestions, i'll get something sorted out for when i get my 002R