Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2009, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 (64bit)

Did someone predict 64 bit PT in 5 -7 years. Are we talking light years ?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:41 AM

I think it is just insane that digidesign limits LE users..I am getting tired if trying to defend them..It is kind of insulting. Why even stay in PT if you have 8 gigs of ram and cant use it!! Some of us just can not afford HD,so we have to suffer!!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrydee View Post
I think it is just insane that digidesign limits LE users..I am getting tired if trying to defend them..It is kind of insulting. Why even stay in PT if you have 8 gigs of ram and cant use it!! Some of us just can not afford HD,so we have to suffer!!
Your system details indicate that you are running 4GB of system RAM and M-powered, has that changed?

What exactly are you attempting to do that you cannot do without HD? Maybe we can help you.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 AM

If you are not stuck with using Protools and your just starting recording and need more RAM give Cakewalk SONAR 6 a try. It supports 64 bit so you get more then 3GB RAM. Most plugins don't yet but you gotta start somewhere.

Don't wait for Digi they take way to long to update their software. I think they took 1-2 years before they supported Vista and when new service packs or browsers come out it takes them a good 6 - 12 months to approve it's compatable.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:18 AM

I can't see digi/avid giving support for 64bit aaaaaaanytime soon, if at all. With access to that much ram and processor power, why would anyone buy a HD system?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:34 AM

Geez, this is like hearing about the Apple tablet or the iPhone coming to Verizon: NO NEW NEWS!!!! Digidesign, someone, ANYONE who works for Digidesign, that feels even an inkling of concern and responsibility to the customers who purchased ProTools 8 and have a 64 bit processor, PLEASE give us the status on your fix!

What is the status?

Are you guys working on a fix?

Is Vista just not going to be doable?

When can we expect to use the ProTools 8 that we purchased?

I'm dying to record, but my old computer is just too underpowered and they really don't sell 32 bit processing computers anymore... please, just tell us what is going on. You guys have supposedly been working on this fix for a looooooong long time. What is the deal?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:33 PM

Digidesign has never claimed Pro Tools to be anything other than 32bit ever. Simply install a 32bit operating system in your fully qualified computer and things will be as advertised (almost). In this case we are not waiting for a fix, it will be an upgrade. And it will likely be for W7, Vista 64 has not been mentioned to the best of my Knowledge.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-31-2009, 12:45 AM

Don't be Shy, just Try It!!

PT LE 8 is working with Vista 64bit on my Toshiba A300 laptop!!!

I bought it almost exactly 1 year ago, with the intentions of buying an Mbox to use with it while I'm in Audio Engineering school. Then I fell victim to the hype of it not working on Vista and so I NEVER installed it.

Earlier this year I bought the PT's LE 8 upgrade for my Digi002R that I run on an old PPC G5 and STILL NEVER tried it on my Vista 64bit Laptop.

On Friday, I decided I wanted to play around with my laptop, cause it's been a year and I want to format it and re-install the OS. So I tried installing PTLE 8...and to MY SURPRISE!!! It installed without a Hitch! and I was running PT8 with my Digi002R on Vista 64bit with No Problems and I was recording to the Internal 5400rpm Hard Drive! (Which I DO NOT recommend doing) But it was working!!

SOOO, don't be Shy, Just Try! I'm pretty happy! And You might be too!

Once again, that's a Toshiba A300 laptop from a year ago running Vista 64 SP1

~Electric Nick

ps...now watch it F@ck up! hahaha...but I don't care, I still made it work which gives me hope!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Nick View Post
Don't be Shy, just Try It!!

PT LE 8 is working with Vista 64bit on my Toshiba A300 laptop!!!

I bought it almost exactly 1 year ago, with the intentions of buying an Mbox to use with it while I'm in Audio Engineering school. Then I fell victim to the hype of it not working on Vista and so I NEVER installed it.

Earlier this year I bought the PT's LE 8 upgrade for my Digi002R that I run on an old PPC G5 and STILL NEVER tried it on my Vista 64bit Laptop.

On Friday, I decided I wanted to play around with my laptop, cause it's been a year and I want to format it and re-install the OS. So I tried installing PTLE 8...and to MY SURPRISE!!! It installed without a Hitch! and I was running PT8 with my Digi002R on Vista 64bit with No Problems and I was recording to the Internal 5400rpm Hard Drive! (Which I DO NOT recommend doing) But it was working!!

SOOO, don't be Shy, Just Try! I'm pretty happy! And You might be too!

Once again, that's a Toshiba A300 laptop from a year ago running Vista 64 SP1

~Electric Nick

ps...now watch it F@ck up! hahaha...but I don't care, I still made it work which gives me hope!
What we noticed was that certain combinations of 3rd party plug-ins would render Pro Tools unstable in 64bit systems. If you have a simple and unchanging setup it may be a little friendlier. I still don't really understand what can possibly be gained in performance by running a 32bit app. in a 64bit system.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-31-2009, 09:56 PM

It's not so much as "what will be Gained" from using 64bit.

It's just the simple fact that most laptops are coming with Vista 64bit installed on them...

So, the gain is that I have a computer that works good with Vista 64...and NOW I have a Pro Tools on that computer! That is my Gain!

I use my PPC G5 at home, and now I can use an Mbox on the Go! Which is great for going to Large Studio and being Paid Money to Pocket Drums or any sort of PT Editing!