Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 AM

Default Vienna Ensemble Pro

Hello there.

Not sure where I should post this and I have done so in the Virtual Instrument section, but thought I'd post here too as it's where I normally gravitate to on this forum. Moderator - please delete me if not appropriate!

I have a dual 2.3 Ghz PowePC G5 running OSX 10.5.8. This is my main pro tools computer with Pro Tools 8 on it.

I want to have a standalone computer "slave" which will be a powerbook 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo which I was thinking will have Vienna Ensemble Pro on it.

Basically a sampler / virtual instrument computer.

I want to be able to run Kontakt 4 and various other NI instruments / Arturia instruments off Vienna Ensemble Pro

Will this work?

Is this a stable way to run? Is Kontakt 4 here as stable as in standalone mode?

Is it really as easy as one ethernet cable?

Lastly, how does Pro Tools see Vienna Ensemble Pro?

This is a matter of urgency and will purchase immediately if this set up will work!

Many thanks in advance...

Best regards,

David.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Vienna Ensemble Pro

I can't speak on stability, but Ensemble Pro does work as advertised. Vienna software running on both computers allows them to communicate and pass data and this works well. There's a bit of latency, but it's not drastic. For most things it's a non-issue, however you're using an older computer which might pose a problem.

The demo is free for 30 days or so. Trying it is really the only way to know whether it'll work to your specs.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:48 PM

It works wonderfully well.
I've never run Kontakt 4 in stand alone mode but it's working perfectly in VEP.
Yes it works with one ethernet cable.....some kind of magic.
You install VEP on both computers and you will see an RTAS plug appear in your Protools plug list. You insert this in an instrument channel and connect to VEP.

One thing that caught me at first was forgetting to install the exact same version of the software on both machines. Watch out for that.

Warning...........you may experience a loss of interest in the development of PT in regard to the long standing VI problem.
This will result in a significantly reduced visit rate to the DUC.
You will also get more work done and discover the joy of creating music again.

Join the forum over at Vienna and welcome.

http://philbuckle.com/
Old 03-09-2010, 04:50 PM

Thank you Eric. Yes, the older PPC computer is a worry but I have downloaded the demo and will see where I can a key-thingy tomorrow to test it out. I think I may be able to get something other than a Vienna key for Trial purposes..?

Phil - looking at your rig it looks as though it is very similar to mine, except for the moment I will be running VEP off a laptop.

Your endorsement made me smile - it really does sound too good to be true and think I will definitely leap for it. I have been SO fed up with the way PT deals with samplers / VI etc.

I just want to get back to making music!

Did you buy from a store or download?

David.

ps just joined the Vienna forum!
Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM

I have one quick question regarding some timing issues I'm getting with VE Pro.

I'm triggering some drum sounds from Battery 3 using VE Pro and a MIDI track in Pro Tools. If I save my session, and then restart at later time, VE Pro opens and seems to play everything back a touch early, must be only a few samples or so, but definitely, I can hear flamming. At times if I shut down VE Pro it fixes itself, but sometimes it doesn't...very random.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Sig
Old 03-09-2010, 05:13 PM

Hmmm, seems that I cured it this time by turning off Delay Compensation in Pro Tools and then back on again....

THAT is annoying.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Buckle View Post
Warning...........you may experience a loss of interest in the development of PT in regard to the long standing VI problem.
This will result in a significantly reduced visit rate to the DUC.
You will also get more work done and discover the joy of creating music again.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 PM

I just spent about a month ringing out VE pro. The ups and downs of it are as follows.

Works great, does what it says it does, integrates into protools seamlessly, works equally well in Logic although there is some small workarounds needed to get logic to pass volume/mod equivalent info beyond the channel strip. I am equally impressed with the amount of automation data it is preset to recieive. Very cool. Works well and sounds good but here are the caveats:

First the gain structure is attenuated in VE pro on the instrument channel strip by 6 db approx. one of the first things I noticed about VE pro was that it printed very very low inside Logic, almost like there was a +4/-10 discrepency. A quick dirty test of this is to put two instances of Vienna Instruments instrument of your choice up, one inside PT or logic, one inside VE pro. In my case I only tested this in Logic, as my client was a Logic user. I could only get the levels to match by bumping the faders in VEP up to their plus 6db max. I set up a small Orchestra cue using about 18 instruments in VE pro. These were returned through stereo auxes , one for each section String, Wind, Brass and Percussion, and then one for each section's reverb send , so 8 stereo auxes in total, the reverb plugins were hosted within the DAW on the Aux inputs channel strip.
Neither the sections Auxes nor their reverb sends experienced any overs during this test with most of the orchestra going full bore and about 90-95% of dynamic volumes, but there was clipping visible and audible coming from the individual channel strips. This seems a little weird to me but I imagine VEP has some sort of limiter built into its outputs as well to facilitate the possibility of a lot of instruments being pushed through a limited number of outs.

My fix for this was to back off the individual channel strips to +3 db and everything worked well. Other approaches to this would be to goose the auxes either in the DAW by 3 db, or I haven't repeated this test in PT but wouldn't be suprised if there was some wierdness with on the Logic side of things affecting the gain structure of rewire type instruments as well.

A couple of other weird things came up as well, pretty parenthetical and totally work-around-able if thats a word.

The internal sends within VE pro if set to "pre Fader" changes the sent signal from stereo to mono. The fix for this being don't use prefader sends...

Also when sending automation to the VE pro's sends, the signal becomes intermittent and zippery when ramping up or down. Example, if you have a violin section instrument and want to automate reverb tails or an excessively wet or dry sound (eg between marcato strings and mute string sounds on a keyswitched instrument) you will get an artifact in the mix that sounds like distortion and can be traced to the reverb send submix. bypassing the reverb plug in and listening t the soloed aux will net a zippery intermittent signal on the uneffected sound. The fix here is to automate reverbs within the DAW, or not automate them at all, using preset redundant wet or dry instruments instead.

Every once and a while when moving between projects, and the preserve function is on, VEP plug in does not recognize the server and tries to initiate a new project within the metaframe.

Also VEP has a slightly jacked file hirearchy, being that if you open a project or metaframe you created yesterday and make changes to it, you can only save the changed version as a new project or metaframe , even if you only choose "save" rather than "save as" once you have done this you can save (cmd>s) further changes.

Again these are results I have found using VEPro with Logic. I would not be suprised if a few of these issues were on the logic side. I would suspect LP9 memory behaviours designed to facilitate moving between projects (keeping VI sample preloads in ram between projects) as a culprit in the occasional missing server issue, and the automation problem could be a simple as a lack of automation thinning in LP9, it might not happen in PT. In all it is a very cool product which I suspect will kill in a revision or two with some tweaking to the mixers behaviour.

BTW my relatively small orchestra template took up about 3gb ram so load up and if you are using a laptop to host, be sure to house your samples on an equivalent digi approved FW drive.

I have also been able to run an incredible amount of samples in stand alone instances of Kontakt, streamed into PT via a small firewire coreaudio interface, on a 2008 intel quad core machine with about ten Gb ram. and have had similar results running VEPro on a single machine too. You didn't say what PT you were running, but if its not HD, you might think about upgrading your machine first. IMO the all in one box is always the easiest approach.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegfried Meier View Post
Hmmm, seems that I cured it this time by turning off Delay Compensation in Pro Tools and then back on again....

THAT is annoying.
Yeah I discovered that every time I open a session with VEP I have to toggle the DC.
No big deal but it catches me sometimes.

xxicjoy
Thanks for your insights. You will find the programers at Vienna very responsive to your enquiries but you will get a faster response from them by contacting support. The forum is a little slow. I'd be interested to get their response to your tests.

I think there is a growing number of us PT/VPE users. Some with one machine and others with slaves.
I actually like the 2 machine approach. I only have to drag the VPE files to my master and back them up with all the PT files.
I feel comfortable with PT just being an audio recorder and midi sequencer and I'm doing more and more sound sculpting in VEP. I purchased the Vienna suite as well and I love the compressor and the multi band comp. The EQ has one of the best interfaces I have used and also sounds great.
I can do all my drum smashing in VEPro now and also use my Acousticas IR's in the convolution reverb.
Ok I'll stop now.

http://philbuckle.com/
Old 03-10-2010, 06:17 AM

Ok, here's the wrinkle I've been wondering about: How about using Vienna Ensemble PRO on a headless mac?

Say I want to buy one of those new 12 core macs coming out next Tuesday, and use something like Synergy or Teleport to control the new mac. Would VEP and Synergy/Teleport play nicely together on one ethernet connection?

Anyone successfully doing this? Anyone UNsuccessfully attempting this?

Ray