Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Building a \"DUC\" computer: I have some questions..

Hi everyone! Protools noob here, so please bear with me!

I am building a "DUC" HD3 system based on all the great suggestions I have found here, but I have some questions that I haven't found the answers for yet. First of all here is my system (all from Newegg):

Motherboard: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Socket 478 Intel 875P ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T Processor Model BX80547PG3200F
Ram: gigaram 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered DUAL CHANNEL System
Memory Model GR1DD8T-K2GB/400/2.5
System Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3200822AS 200GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Work Drives: 2 Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI NX6200AX-TD128 Geforce 6200 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card

Does this look right? (I have had good luck with the Gigaram.)
What is the max sample rate I can get out of this system?
What sample rate do you guys record at using this type system?
Do you disable the onboard sound in the BIOS? If not, is the system sound useful? I haven't bought LCD monitors because if system sound is useful then I want built in LCD speakers.
Why is everyone using two non-RAID working drives? Something in Protools? Would 3 be faster? 4?
Should I use the onboard LAN or a USB lan or a PCI LAN card to interface with a Control 24?
Any issues with a Control 24 and this system?

Thanks!!
Old 07-15-2005, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Building a \"DUC\" computer: I have some questions..

Your Mainboard has an older Socket (478) than your CPU (775).
Maybe someone who has a newer system, can tell which MB works stabil,or you take an older P4 (Socket 478) CPU.

Henning

Becareful when you take a newer mainboard that has PCI-E, then you have to take another Videocard (not AGP)and maybe DDR2 Ram.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Building a \"DUC\" computer: I have some questio

Hi!
Yes- as mentioned, you will need a socket 478 P4 for that motherboard.
If system will be in same room with you, I would highly recommend checking my sig...I detail my system, including cooling options I used for quiet(er) performance.

RAID is not supported by PT. However, you do have the ability to use "round robin allocation" in PT.
I have not had need for that tho...even with "good old simple IDE drives" for system and single audio drive I used previously; even just that allowed the full voice count at 24bit 44.1, 48, and 96.

Personally, I like to work at 24/96 these days. I have done so much reading and research on "best rate to use" and such. And I have found no definitive answer. It can be argued all day long, for the rest of your life. And no answer will be found. Best bet: use your ears, and some common sense. That said...the max rate you will be able to use is determnined by the I/O; IMO, the 192 I/O is best. That would allow up to 24/192. Track/voice count will decrease as the rate gets higher of course.

Finally, RAM choice is sometimes motherboard dependant; by this, I mean that some RAM brands are happier on some boards, and not others, etc. Where Samsung may be kosher with "A," it may have some issues with board "X." As such, I would be sure that where you buy your parts from will allow you to swap out parts should they prove incompatible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:06 PM

Duh!! Thanks for pointing out the wrong processor. I have ordered the correct one (I think):

intel Pentium 4 3.2 Northwood 800MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor Model BX80532PG3200D - Retail

And thanks for the answers! I guess it makes sense that if ProTools can individually address drives, then Raid isn't that important. In fact that's nicer because then you can add drives one at a time.

About the RAM: I can always use the RAM for another computer in the house because the kids always want more RAM (it seems to be some sort of status symbol!). Once I find something that works I am lothe to change it.

Went to your website Nikki and it's great! Good job! That's amazing that you record everything at 24/96. I did get the 192 I/O, so hopefully I can get the same performance with a HD3. But I wonder how much of the track count is related to your system being a HD4. I'm kind of fuzzy on the whole Accel card/track count relationship.

I am still confused concerning the onboard motherboard sound. Does anyone use it? Do I need speakers in the LCD monitors? Can anyone help with my LAN question?
Old 07-15-2005, 11:15 PM

Thx!

I have used the onboard sound without issue before.

I got full voice count with HD3...it is possible with HD2 or better. The biggest hurdle for track/voice counts is the hard drive being able to feed the TDM mixer via the PCI buss to the first (core) card. Once in there, the cards are completely up to the task of doing the rest easily, even with 95%+ DSP being utilized. Denses edits will decrease capabilities, but unless you have alot (and I mean ALOT) of dense edits throughout a session using all voices, I cannot see it causing much problem. In fact, if I were building a system from scratch now, I would opt for a nice pair of Seagate 7200rpm SATA 200G or 250G drives for audio instead of the WD Raptors. I simply do not have sessions that push beyond the performance they would provide, even doing 24/96k 5.1 surround mixes, which are my most common ones now. The Seagate drives carry a nicer warranty, and are wicked quiet and cooler running.

LAN: I use the onboard ethernet all the time. NEVER disable it. I will even get a session playing and cruise the net while listening back...it is that type of "not paying attention" listening that produces those odd glitches in a mix for me

With Accel, I am able to do very large sessions in surround (5.1), @ 24/96k, long delay comp on, and using nearly all the DSP on the cards. I have yet to run into allocation problems, and I regularly use plugins that are Accel only, specific Accel chip only (like TL Space surround long TDM), and plugs that are perfectly happy on the original HD process cards.

I would suggest doing as few tweaks initially as possible. Load Win XP normally, WITHOUT the HD cards installed. Install all drivers for motherboard, LAN, etc, and then update XP as needed...and THEN install the HD cards, power up, and ignore any "hardware found" dialogs completely (do not cancel, do not do anything- leave em alone) and install PT. Reboot, fire it up, see if all is cool. If so, close PT, load up plugins, reboot, and then relaunch PT.

If you have probs, stop back here- lots of good people herte to help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:01 AM

Nikki wrote:
"LAN: I use the onboard ethernet all the time".

Me too!
I have a P4P800E Deluxe and the onboard ethernet works like a million bucks..but it would still be cool if someone chimed in with any experience regarding this with the Control 24 (I'm sure it's fine though).

lb.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:13 AM

If it helps, I use and Asus P4C800-E Deluxe based system with a ProControl+Fader and it runs great.

Digi ETS
Old 07-21-2005, 04:00 PM

I'm using an asus NCCH DL with a C24 through the hub even, right off the integrated gigabit controller with no problems. I guess it would be fine.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:50 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I checked the Control 24 online manual and I shouldn't have any problem using the Control 24.

I have the computer half way built now because I'm thinking about cooling options and fans. I will post more when I finally get the damn thing built.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:02 PM

And don't forget this:

http://www.xoxide.com/nzxt-nemesis-case-orange.html

You'll need it to have a fully qualified "DUC" computer.