Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Please reccomend a good Firewire hard drive case

hi
just ordered my second OWC case today
I've been using my first one for over a year with no problems, (knock on wood),
this is why i ordered the second one

i'll post later with the results

regards,
CJ
Old 10-27-2004, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Please reccomend a good Firewire hard drive c

Quote:
I currently have an ADS Firewire case but I have not been very happy with it. It is better than the AcamData case I had before it but it is still unreliable with mounting and sometime, it even shuts itself off when I am using it which it unacceptable.
I would prefer one that is fanless but one that would dissipate heat well, maybe an aluminum one. Of course a good Oxford 911 chipset and somewhere around $50 is what I am looking to pay.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
WOW! My ADS case has the same problem!!!!!!
Saturday it did it for the last time, I pulled the drive out a installed it under my DVD-Rom drive . Also put a extra fan in the G4 case. I'm grabbing another OWC case today! I've got 2 OWC firewire cases that mount everytime.
If it's happening to more ADS cases, maybe they need to look into and solve the problem. (If they can.)
ANyone want a ADS Pyro firewire case for $25 ?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Check these out. I just bought two.
Cheap case. Not one you want to swap drives in and out of. Runs a little warm with my 250gig.
All in all, great value. Buy two for sixty!

oxford 911 case
DO NOT use these cases. I've had two fail on me. First one of the firewire ports burned out on both and on one the fan bearings started to fail after a few months. I think the cases were the cause of drive failures as well. I had a 120 and 30 gig drive in each case and sometimes they wouldn't mount or get flaky after long periods of use. I moved the drives to a dual height metal case (like this one but with FW ports - http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp...-S-PB&cat=CAS) with a sizeable fan and they haven't given me a problem since. I then installed 200 and 40 gig drives in the plastic cases (before I realized the cases were crap) and lost them both within a year. Luckily most everything was backed up and the drives were still under warranty.

The ADS cases are no better. drives won't mount, data gets lost and the ADS return/RMA procedure is not as hassle free as some other companies. I'll never buy either product again and can't recommend them to anyone.

I like Granite Digital cases but they're expensive.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:29 AM

One more vote for the OWC drive cases. Zero problems and stylish to boot. love it
Old 10-27-2004, 08:37 AM

I have been using Granite Digital cases for years with both SCSI and Firewire removeable enclosures, you get what you pay for imo.

Granite Digital
Old 10-27-2004, 11:29 AM

Quote:
DO NOT use these cases. I've had two fail on me. First one of the firewire ports burned out on both and on one the fan bearings started to fail after a few months. I think the cases were the cause of drive failures as well. I had a 120 and 30 gig drive in each case and sometimes they wouldn't mount or get flaky after long periods of use. I moved the drives to a dual height metal case (like this one but with FW ports - http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp...-S-PB&cat=CAS) with a sizeable fan and they haven't given me a problem since. I then installed 200 and 40 gig drives in the plastic cases (before I realized the cases were crap) and lost them both within a year. Luckily most everything was backed up and the drives were still under warranty.

Yeah, I thought the heat might have a lasting effect on the drive. But again, I bought them for the bridge, and to my knowledge there are only a couple of sources for the oxford 911 bridge worldwide. So whatever box you buy 911 is 911. I have a dual drive case like you listed but with swap drives on a 911. The bridge in that box is an ATA 100 bridge (older) so it doesn't see past 128 gig. I've been running drives in that case for 4 years. Things stay cool. I'll be swapping bridge boards soon. Thanks for the report. Don't care much for their power supply either.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:38 AM

Thanks everyone and I think I will order an OWC right now. I am going to put my drive in my CD burner case in the meantime.
THanks for all the suggestions. and if anyone wants a chrap case. let me know ;-)
Old 11-04-2004, 12:00 PM

Hi all, does anyone know if anywhere in the UK stocks the OWC enclosures, as I'm after one?

Cheers
Old 11-04-2004, 05:24 PM

We've been using LaCie d2's most often recently. Just cause the clients can go out and buy them on there own and bring them in. Simple, very good drives IMO. But have only been using them for about 6 months now. Anyone having problems with them?