Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2004, 12:36 AM

Default Should I move on to OSX & Pro tools v 6 ?

Hi, I have a G4 running OS 9.22 & Pro tools LE 5.21 . I have many wonderfull plug ins & am hesitant to pay for the i lock upgrade fees to move up to Pro tools 6 & OS X.
My question is this, If I Partition a seperate drive & load OSX on it pay for the pro tools upgrade to v6 would it be possible to still use my OS 9 setup to record & process audio & then open up the same session on my OSX drive & continue working on the session with the added bonus of being able to Rewire Ableton Live & Reason within pro tools. Right now I have to use them on their own. If so, how do I proceed to update my current software, which pro tools version should I update to (an idea of cost would be helpfull) & which OSX operating system would work best for me. Look forward to hearing your responses to my logic. Thanks & any other relevant suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks Martin
Old 10-23-2004, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Should I move on to OSX & Pro tools v 6 ?

yes, Martin do it.
depending on the OSX , you'll install PTv6, check the correct download for the system you have.
You still be able to open the sessions back in 9 or OS X, keep in mind that when you try to open a PTv6
file on Ptv5 it doesn't open directly, you have to lunch ProTools first an then open the session you want,
as for the plug-ins if you have them in both systems, you're on.
I was very pleased when I made the transaction, hope you'll feel the same way i did.
Good luck,
regards,
Jorge
Old 10-23-2004, 09:27 AM

I have kept a similar setup due to the unreliability with v6.0 although it isn't an issue now. I have not had any problems and I don't even have two partitions on my main drive. I just have both installed and it works just fine.
What I would suggest is that you upgrade to PT 6.4 and OS X 10.3 and slowly upgrade yoour plugs as you can afford it. The more you use 6.x/OS X the more you will love it and will hate rebooting and using 9 again. It really is THAT much better.

Remember to check back here though with a few things that you may need to know about OS X such as repairing permissions which is similar to a desktop rebuild in OS 9 as far as how often and how it helps your system.

Go for it, you won't regret it!
Old 10-23-2004, 09:30 AM

In case I didn'y quite make it clear, get he latest version of both PT and OS X. You can get Panther (10.3) for a bit more than $100, or $199 if you want to install in on up to 5 Macs.
I got the free PT 6 upgrade and I am not sure what it costs, but all updates to it are free as long as you have 6.0 or newer.