Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2022, 09:04 AM

Default Had there ever been a solution to the mix window issue...

...where sessions from older systems refuse to save the mix window in a second monitor? No matter how/what is revised and re-saved (I'm currently on Ultimate 2020.12.0 but has happened occasionally through the years) the mix window always opens hidden behind the edit window instead of in the second monitor as positioned when saved.

TIA
Old 01-18-2022, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Had there ever been a solution to the mix window issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rader Ranch View Post
...where sessions from older systems refuse to save the mix window in a second monitor? No matter how/what is revised and re-saved (I'm currently on Ultimate 2020.12.0 but has happened occasionally through the years) the mix window always opens hidden behind the edit window instead of in the second monitor as positioned when saved.

TIA
Is there a question?
No. In my experience PT is rubbish at remembering views, windows, and multiple displays, as it has always been. I stopped hoping for a change ages ago. I've settled with saving sessions/templates with all windows on the same screen, and just partly overlapping, so it's easy to either drag the application icon (after hitting F3, Mission Control) to another display, which moves all the windows, or dragging each window to a display/space to have it show up full-screen there. This is Mac, of course.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Is there a question?
I believe you read too fast and blew past the question mark. This is hardly a big deal, just a minor annoyance, so I was just seeing if this is one of those things that had an easy fix that I had missed.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:58 AM

Hard to tell exactly what is being stated and or asked in the OP

I am on PT Ultimate 2021.12 and my sessions save with the correct positions --mix window on one monitor and edit window on the other
What it does not do, is save either display in full screen mode . They stay in the correct position but drop to max screen mode

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-18-2022, 01:44 PM

MIX and EDIT always come up here exactly where they were the last time on my 2 screens(both 1920x1080). The only time things get funky is if there is some change or update to the graphics or graphics driver

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-18-2022, 02:04 PM

Try using Window Configs. Works here on my dual screen 1920x1200 setup.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Hard to tell exactly what is being stated and or asked in the OP
I've got sessions from older systems that do not save the mix window in my second monitor. They always open behind (hidden by) the edit window. This has happened every so often throughout the years. It's not just my current version of Ultimate, or one particular era of older session I"m having/had the issue with (that I've been able to identify anyways). We all think differently, I don't know how to be more clear. I have seen the question asked before here, but certainly years ago.

I'll definitely try window configs, should have thought of that, thanks.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:51 AM

I run 5 monitors, 3 over the console, an 2 at the MIDI station. Window positions are always recalled correctly here.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-19-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rader Ranch View Post
I've got sessions from older systems that do not save the mix window in my second monitor. They always open behind (hidden by) the edit window. This has happened every so often throughout the years. It's not just my current version of Ultimate, or one particular era of older session I"m having/had the issue with (that I've been able to identify anyways). We all think differently, I don't know how to be more clear. I have seen the question asked before here, but certainly years ago.

I'll definitely try window configs, should have thought of that, thanks.
I don't use window config. But what the heck

I guess I have not noticed that with my older sessions, I'll have to check again. (BTW I always allowed the older .ptf files to convert to .ptx) don't know if that might be an issue ?

OK just checked So when I open my older sessions from as far back as 2003 they open with the edit and mix windows on different displays (Now they may have initially opened one on top of the other) but as soon as I close and save them they open correctly

. Are you saying you still have the issue , if you open the older session and move one window to the other display then Save it , and then reopen it ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-20-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Are you saying you still have the issue , if you open the older session and move one window to the other display then Save it , and then reopen it ?
Correct...well, until I just found the solution, which is just resizing the mix window a hair smaller on the 2nd monitor. It was already not quite edge to edge (and I never use the green button to go full screen) but whatever the reason that's all it takes to make it go away (or rather, reopen properly). As I mentioned it's been quite a few years since I had this issue, again with older sessions, and if I figured it out then I'd forgotten it. Sucks to get old I tell ya.