Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2008, 10:06 PM

Default Why Does PTLE run so much faster with Internet disabled?

I'm running Pro Tools on my Mac Pro 8-core 2.8GHz computer. The reason I'm posting in the Windows section is because I have Boot Camp installed and the issue I'm talking about is only when I'm running PTLE in Windows. This same problem also occurred on my last Dell computer.

Anyhow, Pro Tools will load up fine and my sessions will play for a short while, but I'll keep getting both buffer underruns AND overruns! However, as soon as I disable all of my Network Adapters all these problems go away. By Network Adapters I mean the built in Wireless Card and both Ethernet plugs. The Ethernet plugs aren't plugged into anything and my wireless is just connected to a router which does to a DSL line.

Does anyone know why this is happening and is there anyway I can use my Internet without Pro Tools going nuts?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Why Does PTLE run so much faster with Internet disabled?

Yes. Digi reccomends disabling the internet adapters because they call on the processor interrupt to do their job for the computer. Pro tools and the Digital audio engine needs a steady stream of data without interruptions. Your network cards do exactly this. It's best to disable them and work without the net. I find that it actually helps me stay focused.
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 02-11-2008, 09:28 AM

why do you want to use the internet while you are working in protools? This has always befuddled me. Are you cruising myspace while tracking? Is there an important email that you are waiting for? Or are you on the DUC? Just curious. When I turn on protools, everything else disappears.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:15 PM

I run pro tools on boot camp as well on a macpro quad. I have not tried disabling the network connections but i have found PT 7.4 to be much more stable on boot camp then either my PC install or my OS X install. I have no idea why but i get almost zero errors with the bootcamp setup even with large track counts and plugs. I would prefer to work with the OS X install but i get error after error.

I will try disabling the network drivers and see if that affects performance at all.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:57 PM

Actually yeah, email is the reason I'd like to be able to keep my internet on.

What is bizarre is that at other studios I work at they behave just fine while connected to the internet. It's only my home rig that gives both the over/underflow errors. Even if I have no email programs running in the background and just the internet is connected...