Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-31-2008, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Thinkin of callin it quits

Camilo and Albee nailed it right on the head: Use the the components that work for others and they will work for you too. Thanks to the obsessive (unpaid) work by the people on this forum over the last 5-6 years (see Best Desktop Thread), anybody can put together a system that will outperform a Mac for 1/2 -1/3 the cost. I've built 2 myself. We've all had challenes here and there, but there are a lot of us doing it succesfully. Apple operating systems are probably better than Windows, but five years ago we had track counts and processing power on our native systems that were inaccessible to Mac users.

Despite your whining, there are a lot of people on here that would still help you, but you have to accept some TRUTHS...PT need some specific hardware. It doesn't matter how much you spent or how well another program runs on your system. You'll NEVER get PT running if you have incompatible hardware, or if your system is configured incorrectly.

www.guyfi.com
www.flystudiosmilwaukee.com
Old 01-31-2008, 08:59 AM

Some folk with working systems "hang out" here when they have time attempting to help whiny little scamps like you get your system up and running.

Here's a complete list of all my LE and TDM systems, past and present, which ran perfectly with nothing but the basic settings as outlined in the various versions' getting started guides:
  • Digi 001 on G4 500MHz running OS 9 (might've been 8.6. can't remember)/PTLE 5.0
  • Digi 001 on PIII 1GHZ running Win 98SE/PTLE 5.1
  • Digi 001 on Athlon XP2000 Win XP/PTLE 5.3-6.1. This system was upgraded to a 002R PTLE 6.4
  • Digi 002R on Athlon 64 3000+ Win XP/PTLE 6.4-7.4
  • mbox on Powerbook 1GHz OS9/X PTLE 5.1-7.3
  • mbox on MacBook Pro OS X 10.4.8 PTLE 7.3
  • Mix Plus on Quicksilver G4 1GHz OS 9 PT 5.1
  • Pro Tools HD3 on G5 dual 2.5GHz OS X 10.4.8 PT 7.3.1

All the PC systems listed above have been built to Digidesign recommendations and not one of them cost over AU$900. I simply built them, installed the OS, installed drivers, installed Pro Tools and guess what? They work. No hoops, no outrageous costs, rings of fire or pacts with the devil.

And before you tell me to close my browser and load up The Tools, I'll tell you that I produced, recorded and mixed 8 albums back to back last year leaving me a sum total of 22 days on which I didn't work throughout the entire of 2007. Hence I'm taking four months out and during this period, I occasionally like to f*%& around on the internet. That alright by you?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:59 AM
Avid

guy.fi - I removed that last bit of your sentence because it was really uncalled for.

Believe me - WE understand the frustration that people have on Windows systems. We share your pain and, really, we ARE trying to do something about it. Due to the way DAE works - it's unlike any other system because LE is based on the TDM architecture and completely separating the two would really mean having to do nearly twice the work - little changes in PC components can have a huge effect on how well Pro Tools performs. These changes are happening all the time with PC's - even within the same brand and model number you can have various component swaps.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but merely trying to explain why things are the way they are. Completely revamping the code base that is Pro Tools is no easy task - we're talking about an engine/system based on 20 years of code. We are trying to do just that - while still adding new features and updates so that current users are happy as well.

In the meantime - the suggestions above are spot on. Check the compato docs, read the 'Best Desktops' thread and it's unlikely that you can go wrong. An hour of research can save you countless hours of headaches.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:16 AM

You obviously have items that are conflicting causing the errors. Why don't you just post the info we need to determine it (from both systems). Or you won't post it because you already know you have components that aren't "compatible."

I built mine to specs and for the most part, everything runs great. (My comp is also my personal computer, not just dedicated to PTLE, so if I don't disable some things like the ethernet controller and some other usb items, I may get conflicts). Ideally I would want to just dual boot and have a seperate system drive for XP/PTLE and I already have my audio drive, that way there I don't have to run hardware profiles and clog my XP with my personal crap that may affect PTLE).

Is your computer strictly PT dedicated or is it your "everything" computer.

How about the ones at school, if it's a PTLE class only surely those are dedicated only to PT and don't have all kinds of other garbage on them.

We'd love to help you out if you give us the info we need, otherwise this is useless.
Behringer ADA8000
80GB WD system 160GB Samsung Audio
Radium 61e USB controller
Old 01-31-2008, 09:21 AM

the post i replied to (if your systems work so well, why are you hanging out in the duc/../close your browser/../go record some cool tunes, blah, blah, blah...) has been deleted but what the hey...
Old 01-31-2008, 09:31 AM

I find it odd that anyone-Let alone many people and major manufacturers would consult with some one who can't get PT to run an a MAC..

Unless that "Non PC" is a UNIVAC or something.

If your working in Nashville (or Los Angeles or New York or....) and can't get PT running I would think it would be a long, long time in between phone calls.

Just think how much business/respect you would have if you could make PT run

Yes, PT has some hardware requirements, If configuring a Digital Audio Workstation system is too damn hard getting a job at Best Buy installing Office 2007 might suit your skills set better.

It's just not that hard.

Sorry I don't believe that anyone that can't get PT running has any street cred whatsoever.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-31-2008, 10:45 AM

DigiTechSupt just said there known issues due in part to legacy code. Enough said.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Avid

Quote:
DigiTechSupt just said there known issues due in part to legacy code. Enough said.
Let's not warp what I said. I'm not saying that there are issues on all machines, which is what you're implying with your statement.

Pro Tools will work great on a machine that follows our specific requirements. Deviating from those requirements is opening yourself up to problems.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:08 PM

Spot on Scott!

I couldn't agree more!

I can't count the systems that I have built tested tried to break every golden DIGI rule with and they still work and this guy can't get a MAC working with out errors!
And I guess though it makes sense that he tests software / hardware if he gets it going anyone else is going to have no problem at all!

PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK!

ROFLMAOASTC !

( Rolling On the Floor Laughing My ***** Off And Scaring The Cat! )

This is a fishing trip for someone!
If I had a teacher like that I guess I never would have ever recorded anything in the last 26 some odd years!

I think MS Office 2007 would be way over his head!

Even my wife can build a computer that works with Pro Tools!
Maybe someone from the GEEK SQUAD at Best Buy could Help Him!
You know the "Hello Wally" type in the VW!

Sorry give it up and get a cassette recorder with THE BIG RED RECORD BUTTON!

Matt P

Used to be YODA
Now known as STARSCREAM

My lightsaber doesn't flicker [i] [b]RED!

It is BRIGHT RED!

"NOYCE...LOOV I(T)!"

*Silent "T".

"I'm HERE from the Darkside!"
Old 02-01-2008, 05:26 PM

C'mon Starscream.....don't hold back, say what ya' really think

and stop scarin' my cat