Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-27-2023, 06:19 AM

Default Help with Assertion Error

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry that this is my first post in this forum but this problem has been driving me mad for a week now...

I just got a new computer (ASUS ROG STRIX 17 G713QR-K4088W / Windows 11) and was really hoping I could finally get back to work since my old computer (MacOs) was struggling with Pro Tools.
I could open Pro Tools First with no problems (just a bit of a display bug, but nothing too harsh), yet when I try to launch Pro Tools Studio (2018.12) I get this error message:

Could not complete your request because Assertion in "E:\ Code\ 223110\ ProTools\ AAE\ Source\ AAX\ CFicAAXWidget.cpp", line 851.

I've looked at all the help given on this forum, including on here.

The only thing that seemed to do something was holding the "N" key when starting the software but instead of resetting the I/O settings, it just closes Pro Tools all-together.

Anyone knows what else I could try..? I'm desperate at this point.
Thanks in advance.

(PS: english isn't my mother tongue, sorry for any mistakes)
Old 01-27-2023, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Help with Assertion Error

This is most likely caused by you not having a proper ASIO interface on the computer. What *exact* audio interface and driver version are you trying to use?

On Windows you should have an ASIO compatible interface with a device driver from the manufacturer that supports ASIO. Just do it correctly, do not waste time with ASIO4ALL or WASAPI. The Focusrite 2i2 is an example of a low-cost entry level interface that supports ASIO, but there are many others.

There is lots of information on DUC already pointing this out, including: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...orm&popup=true

Why Avid cannot get rid of more ASSERTs and replace them with user friendly error messages is beyond me.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:15 AM

I see... My problem is that my audio interface is also having some issues (it ceased to turn on) so I was hoping I could use Pro Tools without having to use my audio interface, like I was able to on my MacOs.
I also wished the error messages were a bit clearer because this is really isn't my first time losing myself to find solution to a random problem...
Thank you for your help !
Old 01-27-2023, 08:37 AM

Unfortunately it's not the same with Windows. A few Windows sound cards do support ASIO, most do not. The whole Windows legacy audio infrastructure was terrible, and well behind what CoreAudio on a Mac could do, so Steinberg invented ASIO which bypasses the Windows legacy audio system and effectively everybody doing pro-high end audio adopted ASIO.

And the reason holding down N has problems is Pro Tools can't find any interface it thinks will work... but it should not fail and should explain this clearly. This mess should have been cleaned up years ago, it's terrible to expose new (Windows) users to this.

Troubleshoot carefully your current interface.... which is what? Make sure you have installed the correct Windows ASIO device driver for it before connecting it, and that it's powered correctly.

If you need a new interface and you describe what features you want/need in an interface, and your budget, folks here can suggest options to you, there are is a wide variety of good products available from vendors include RME, Focusrite, UAD, Motu, Presonus, Apogee (long history of great products and Mac support... check how they are doing on Windows), and others, and several vendors I'd stay away from (especially for poor support reasons). Quality of device drivers and how well vendors provide long term sustaining engineering (esp. support for new OSes) and customer support are prime considerations when selecting an interface.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:37 AM

Sorry for the late reply, and thank you so much for this detailed answer.

My current audio interface won't be functional for a while apparently, so I've been looking on getting a new one until my old one is repaired.

I was using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 back at my old place of work and never had a complain with it, I looked it up and they do have drivers downloadable on their website to make it compatible with Windows 11 (+ they're selling an interesting bundle with mic and mic stand, which would do great until I can get better equipment) so I might go for this one, but I'll be sure to look on here what others would recommend.

Thank you again !
Old 01-31-2023, 02:59 PM

The Focusrite 2i2 is a good starter interface, and if it has a mic you want might be even more a good start. The other models I'd look at in the sub $500 price range are from UAD Volt and Motu.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:35 AM

My current interface that needs repair is a MOTU M4 actually, which is why I'll go for a cheaper option and switch back when it's "feeling better" haha
Thanks for the advice, that comfirmed me that my MOTU was the right choice when I got it!
Old 02-01-2023, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Why Avid cannot get rid of more ASSERTs and replace them with user friendly error messages is beyond me.

Darryl - I could not agree more! My favorite is the one that said "...because while translating tracks." That was it. Its not even a complete sentence for Pete's sake! If the Avid programmers are going to take the time to create a pop-up alert window naming an error, at least have the information understandable and in complete sentences!

Old 02-06-2023, 07:23 AM

I sincerely hope I missed something in your explanations because I just set up my new interface (2i2 3rd gen), it works perfectly (did some tests on calls for exemple) and yet I still get the error, even after installing the driver and following all the instructions given by Focusrite.
Holding the N key still closes Pro Tools abruptly...
Old 02-06-2023, 11:24 AM

Unfortunately something may be messed up with your system, you need an ASIO interface in a Windows anyhow so getting that was not a waste.

But first...

By "install driver" do you mean you download and manually installed the driver from the Focusrite website? (I assume so, but just want to be super clear). And install that before connecting the interface? If you let Windows plug and pray install drivers who knows what you will get. If not disconnect the hardware. Use Device Manager to uninstall whatever driver was installed and install a new copy of the driver downloaded from the Focusrite web site.

Testing with other apps or Windows likely only tests the WDM not ASIO drive/driver components so may not be a complete test. If another DAW opens it as an ASIO device, that is a much better test.

Be careful with testing the interface, make sure that you do not leave it enabled in Windows sound or other apps and that Pro Tools is the exclusive user of the device.

Now if you have done all that then you likely have a different problem you need to troubleshoot.

Confirm you installed Pro Tools on the C: drive and did not try to change it's install location.

Up the top of each DUC web page is a "Help us help you" link that includes standard optimization and troubleshooting steps. What I would focus on first is a subset of that. Follow the Windows 10 ones.

If you have not done all the optimization steps for now I would just make sure you do the "run as administrator step". Be careful this is different than just run from an account which is an administrator. All the other optimization steps can be important for other things but should not be relevant to the startup problem you are having.

From the troubleshooting steps, try the following, testing between each change:
- Delete databases and preferences
- Disable startup programs
- Create new admin account (and repeat all tests from that account)

Let us know what exactly you do and what happens. And include a Sisoft Sandra report if still having problems.

Windows can be fragile/fussy, and if this does not work it may be best to spin up a clean test Windows install on a drive partition, install the bare minimum drivers needed (e.g. graphics card and interface drivers) and Pro Tools and nothing else and test if that works. It can be faster to do that and switch to the new Windows install if it works than try to slowly troubleshoot an install that is not working for some unknown reason and where standard troubleshooting steps have not helped. And no other apps running OK does not prove the Windows install is OK, Pro Tools does different stuff than other apps and who knows what is broken here in Windows and/or Pro Tools but full clean installs often solve mystery problems.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-06-2023 at 12:48 PM.