Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 10-10-2022, 03:25 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio Mic In's / Dolby Audio Bridge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizaineris View Post
Thanks for posting these results.
Very helpful!
I have just been messing with this even more. It seems like there is something totally undercooked with the new Aux I/O stuff as changing sample buffers creates some really erratic results with some of the latency measurements.

I have managed to measure DAB + PTAB at 1024 sample buffers with a loopback as low as 79ms, and as high as 119ms. At 32 sample buffers I have managed a loopback as low as 59ms and as high as 71ms. That probably accounts for the rubbery sync some people are experiencing.

Even weirder, when using HDN as usual to feed the renderer (no aux I/O, just Pro Tools -> Digilink -> Madi -> Renderer -> Madi -> Digilink -> Pro Tools), the sample buffer setting has zero impact on the loopback results. Regardless of whether Pro Tools is set to 32, 64, 256 or 1024, the latency is always a fixed 2702 samples/56.3ms.

Something is busted, I reckon.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:55 AM

Just to wake this up a little bit.

Using my PT HDNative with MTRX Studio I have managed to setup a round trip to the Atmos renderer. PT is using the D to A Digilink Outputs of MTRX Studio (feeding the monitoring system) as well as the DAB. The DAB feeds the Atmos Renderer. The Renderer returns to PT via the PT Audio Bridge (PT 64). All well and good. All re-renders working fine etc. The atmos output of the renderer returns to PT and is fed to the monitoring. Now, although I can hear everything fine, this setup introduces too much latency in monitoring the atmos output from the renderer. Is there anything I can do to reduce this or indeed patch things differently so the delay becomes negligible?

Yes I do know I can use the DAB as the sole output from PT to the renderer but that means I lose the connection to my Sync HD and the ability to genlock picture. I would also lose the use of the MTRX Studio mic inputs to PT (I could use Dante to get them into PT but that is another headache I don't want at the moment)

Thoughts? (Jeff too!)
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 11-02-2022, 03:32 AM

Hi MTRX, MTRX Studio / Dolby Audio Bridge Users,

It would be great to see some user routing setups for this or a possible guide into the available routing options using the new Aux IO feature.

I currently have a problem trying to get this feature to work correctly with DAB.

Regards
Old 11-02-2022, 05:37 AM
Avid

Greetings,

What size hardware buffer are you using when setting up this routing test?

best,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Erik View Post
Just to wake this up a little bit.

Using my PT HDNative with MTRX Studio I have managed to setup a round trip to the Atmos renderer. PT is using the D to A Digilink Outputs of MTRX Studio (feeding the monitoring system) as well as the DAB. The DAB feeds the Atmos Renderer. The Renderer returns to PT via the PT Audio Bridge (PT 64). All well and good. All re-renders working fine etc. The atmos output of the renderer returns to PT and is fed to the monitoring. Now, although I can hear everything fine, this setup introduces too much latency in monitoring the atmos output from the renderer. Is there anything I can do to reduce this or indeed patch things differently so the delay becomes negligible?

Yes I do know I can use the DAB as the sole output from PT to the renderer but that means I lose the connection to my Sync HD and the ability to genlock picture. I would also lose the use of the MTRX Studio mic inputs to PT (I could use Dante to get them into PT but that is another headache I don't want at the moment)

Thoughts? (Jeff too!)
MTRX FAQ
Old 11-02-2022, 09:08 AM

Using 1024
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 11-02-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings,

What size hardware buffer are you using when setting up this routing test?

best,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Should the buffer size change the amount of latency? The combination of 2022.10, HDN, RME HDSPe MADI and DAMS doesn't see any change in RTL when adjusting the native sample buffer in Pro Tools here. It all seems fixed at the same 56ms RTL.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 11-02-2022, 04:01 PM

Small update. With setting the playback engine to DAB in ProTools , inputing to the Dolby Atmos Renderer, and setting the Digilink IO as the Aux IO input and output I could use the mic amps on the MTRX Studio and via the routing matrix in Dadman and send them into PT via Digilink IO. The DAR used the HD Native outputs for monitoring. This all works well but sadly no Sync HD is available in PT. I will post further updates for information and hopefully find the best combo for folks that have everything inside one computer!
Old 11-03-2022, 06:06 AM
Avid

Yes, 100%. It is absolutely based on the hardware buffer.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Hey Jeff,

Should the buffer size change the amount of latency? The combination of 2022.10, HDN, RME HDSPe MADI and DAMS doesn't see any change in RTL when adjusting the native sample buffer in Pro Tools here. It all seems fixed at the same 56ms RTL.
MTRX FAQ
Old 11-03-2022, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Yes, 100%. It is absolutely based on the hardware buffer.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I figured that was probably the case, but wasn't sure if Pro Tools was doing something similar to the Atmos renderers with a fixed hardware buffer. Is there any chance you might be able to give support a nudge along with case #04518851? It seems like both Avid support and myself are flat out at the moment, and the case isn't going anywhere at either end with the 10-15 days between replies.

It is literally only seems to effect the combination of HDN as playback engine, feeding DAMS via an RME Madi card. A Pro Tools only session using the RME card or HDN as the playback engine works as you would expect. Using it with Atmos in the reverse configuration (RME as playback engine, HDN as I/O for DAMS) works as expected. Switching back to HDN + RME, and the hardware buffer stops working as expected again.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:43 AM

In the Box story.

After some lengthy experimenting I decided to use Dante as the monitoring out put for the Dolby Atmos Renderer instead of bringing it back into ProTools. That way I can use Dadman and the routing matrix and create individual monitoring sources from the renderer output (including the live re-renders). Using the PT audio bridge it was not possible to route the DAR atmos output or the re-renders to a monitoring source.
Also using the routing matrix in Dadman I could bring the re-render outputs into PT via Digilink and record them if desirable.
I found it more useful to let PT bounce out all the formats I needed using the DAR engine rather than record the live re-renders. The delay offset was too much of a PITA.
I also found that the bounce time was much quicker! If folks would like a walk through of this setup you can drop me an email.