Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-31-2022, 03:42 AM

Default Negative manual delay compensation

I know it has probably been asked before, but I can't get it to work. It would be nice to have some help solving this problem. The manual says it has to work fine, but it really doesn't. Has anyone out there been successful in using a negative value in the manual delay compensation field of a given track in the mix window? Positive value actually shifts playback forward. But there is no way to make it work with a negative value. The scenario I'm working with is the following: an audio track (guitar DI) routed to the audio interface output in the reamp's hardware gears (real tube amp / booth / microphone) and back into pro tools. All of this routing introduces a few milliseconds of delay which I would like to compensate for with negative delay compensation on the DI track. There's no way! Nothing happens. Delay compensation is active. If I set a positive delay value, the playback of the DI track is delayed as expected. But I can't get it to work with a negative value. Please help!
Old 03-31-2022, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Negative manual delay compensation

Hmmm, that's not how I would do it(and I'm not sure it CAN work). I would simply record the re-amp signal back into PT on its own track, then use Tab to Transient to find the leading edge of any obvious transient of the original audio, and nudge(or SPOT) the new audio(using the same transient) so its in perfect alignment. Once you do this a few times, it will seem very simple, and it has the advantage of working

Another option might be to setup the routing so it happens as a hardware insert(which will require you to manually add the proper compensation amount in that window of the Setup>IO menu) and commit the track(in real time as hardware cannot be included in any off-line commit or Bounce to disk)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-31-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodeangelis View Post
I know it has probably been asked before, but I can't get it to work. It would be nice to have some help solving this problem. The manual says it has to work fine, but it really doesn't. Has anyone out there been successful in using a negative value in the manual delay compensation field of a given track in the mix window? Positive value actually shifts playback forward. But there is no way to make it work with a negative value. The scenario I'm working with is the following: an audio track (guitar DI) routed to the audio interface output in the reamp's hardware gears (real tube amp / booth / microphone) and back into pro tools. All of this routing introduces a few milliseconds of delay which I would like to compensate for with negative delay compensation on the DI track. There's no way! Nothing happens. Delay compensation is active. If I set a positive delay value, the playback of the DI track is delayed as expected. But I can't get it to work with a negative value. Please help!
Stop and think about what you are expecting to happen.

This is not how delay compensation works, it adds latency to shift other tracks back in time to line up with the highest latency track. If you want to shift stuff forward you need a time machine. and last I checked some folks based in Gallifrey had an exclusive on that technology and would not license to Avid.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Stop and think about what you are expecting to happen.

This is not how delay compensation works, it adds latency to shift other tracks back in time to line up with the highest latency track. If you want to shift stuff forward you need a time machine. and last I checked some folks based in Gallifrey had an exclusive on that technology and would not license to Avid.
I was thinking this myself, but IIRC, it is possible to add negative latency to midi tracks(which is why I took the route I described)

I tried to go to Gallifrey, but I kept arriving home before I made it

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-01-2022, 02:05 PM

Let me play more and get a better reply.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-01-2022 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2022, 12:36 PM

#albee1952 #Darryl Ramm

Ok guys, thanks for your reply. But please, forget the reamp setup, don't think about it. Just concentrate on the negative delay manual compensation issue. Anyone of you has been able to have it work properly with a negative value? Just imagine that I have to set up a negative delay for a given track (already recorded) using the +/- field for that track down on the mix windows. It's clearly reported in the manual but it doesn't work. Thanks! Cheers
Old 04-03-2022, 01:21 PM

As Darryl explained, negative values delay the other tracks (as that's the only way that can work since we don't have precognition/time travel.) You need delay compensation turned "on" for Pro Tools.

It does not apply while recording or input enabled on audio tracks (to make it apply in those circumstances, you need to to turn "auto low latency off" otherwise known as "blue mode" since the numbers turn blue for latency compensation in the lowest box on the Mix window.) To switch that off, you need to right-click in that lower box and you'll get the option. You have to do that for tracks individually (though it does save with the session.)
Old 04-04-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
As Darryl explained, negative values delay the other tracks (as that's the only way that can work since we don't have precognition/time travel.) You need delay compensation turned "on" for Pro Tools.
Sorry guys but it's not a question of time travel. It's just the way the guys at Avid chose to develop Pro Tools. Being a DAW user since early Logic Audio (Emagic), I've been using both Logic and Pro Tools. It's a fact that Logic HAS the negative delay on every region (you just have to set the specific value you want for any given region to play early). So seems that the guys at Emagic (now Apple) have, in some way, broken down the relativity theory!!! ;-)
Anyway, I'll read in deep again the Pro Tools manual, to find out what they meant when wrote the page that explain the negative value for "delay compensation". Please see the attached pict. Am I wrong? Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delay.jpg (57.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-04-2022, 03:48 PM

Clip based adjustments are the same as nudging (Which you can do in Pro Tools by nudging the clip you recorded)
Not the same thing as track based adjustments.

The explanation on that page is the same as what we've been saying
Quote:
The User Offset is added to or subtracted from the amount of delay applied by Track Compensation.
That's the line ^^^^
Old 04-05-2022, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodeangelis View Post
You don't fix IO delays with a negative value. It is a delay compensation value, so if there is an delay you want to have compensated, you'll need to enter a positive value.
As a result, the track will indeed play back early, but with the added delay introduced by the setup, it will arrive in time back into Protools.

Protools delay compensation works by playing tracks too early, so it outputs on time due to the delay.

If you actually want to delay a track instead of compensating the delay, you can add a delay insert on the track. The user offset only adjusts the automatically calculated delay which is a bit of a hassle when used as a delay.