Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2001, 10:19 PM

Default Disabling Hard Drive Indexing?

I'm running 9.2.1. Occasionally without warning, the OS decides to update the index my internal hard drive.

I fear the day that this would popup during a critical tracking session. What exactly is this indexing process, and how can I disable it, or at the very least make it a manual process?
Old 12-05-2001, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Disabling Hard Drive Indexing?

There's an Extention called FBC Indexing Scheduler. If you disable it the mac will stop trying to index.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:30 PM

Open Sherlock. (command-F in the finder)

In the "Find" menu, select "Index volumes…"

In the little window that opens, there is a list of mounted volumes. Next to each volume name is a check box that applies the schedule to indexing that volume.

Undo all those check marks, close everything, and you'll be bothered by midnite indexing no more.

JW
Old 12-06-2001, 04:06 AM

This feature of Sherlock drove me bats for the first week I had my G4 (recently came over from the PC side), every night at midnight the mysterious reindexer would appear!
Took me a couple of days to figure out the fix (above), it would be helpful I think if Digi reminded new users at install time about this the way they do about virtual drives, AppleTalk, &c
thanks
Old 12-06-2001, 09:47 AM

..and you DO want to disable it. I lost a lot of material once when the indexer kicked in in the middle of a bounce-to-disk.

While Sherlock does need to index your disks to find files, I've never found it to take so long that I can't wait for the indexer to do its stuff first and then use "find".