Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-09-2000, 07:31 AM

Default CD-R Vs. CD-RW

I plan on buying a burner today but I don't know if I should get CD-R or CD-RW. I remeber that someone told me that one is better for producing audio cd's. I think that it was CD-R but I'm not sure. Could someone help me.
Old 11-09-2000, 09:13 AM

Default Re: CD-R Vs. CD-RW

CD-R is compatible with most audio CD players, and virtually all computer CD ROM drives. It it the format that you would use if you were making an audio CD.

CD-RW is NOT compatible with most audio CD players, and is not compatible with most computer CD ROM drives unless they are marked "multiread" capable.

You will probably find that you use CD-R 99.9% of the time. The media is so cheap that I use it for everything. I use CD-R the way most people use 3 1/2" floppy.

CD-RW is eraseable, hence reuseable. If you are testing a particular CD layout you could try it on CD-RW first so you wouldn't waste a disk if the layout doesn't work. You might also use CD-RW for incremental backups of your system or files. This format is intended for temporary storage.

It's getting very difficult to find a CD-R drive that is not CD-RW capable as well. Just because the drive has CD-RW capability doesn't mean you have to use it. And, a CD-RW drive only costs a few dollars more than a CD-R drive (if you can find one).

Just stick with a quality drive manufacturer with a good reputation for their CD-R drives. Plextor, Hewlett Packard, and Yamaha are about the only ones that I'd even consider. I've had bad experience with some other off-brand drives.

Good luck,

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 11-09-2000, 04:35 PM

I use cdrw's to test mixes on other systems and in my car. But make sure you use rewritable cds for "music". Those will play on your home or car stereo.
Old 11-10-2000, 01:42 AM

Actually you want to make sure you use CD-R's(cd recordables) for most CD players. Most do not recognize the CD-RW format, unless it states CD-RW compatability in the manual.

christian
Old 11-10-2000, 07:57 AM

Okay, so help me out here

CD-R = CD Read or CD Record?
CD-RW = CD Read/Write?

It's a little confusing.
Old 11-10-2000, 09:22 AM

CD-R = recordable cd... cannot over-write data or audio once it's been burned to cd. Recorded audio should play on most home/car players.

CD-RW = re-writeable cd - data or audio can be 'erased' and overwriten ad infinitum... audio recorded on cd-rw's will play on almost NO cd player/cd rom drives except the drive that it was recorded on... good for mix testing, mastering, etc. hope that helped...

hl
Old 11-10-2000, 09:22 AM

CD-R = Compact Disk Recordable
Record Once - Good for Red Book Audio

CD-RW = Compact Disk Re-Writable
Record Many times - good for tests and backups. Not good for Red Book Audio
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 11-10-2000, 11:22 AM

Okay, but you're talking about the media, right? I can have a CD-RW drive, use CD-RW discs for data backup, whatever, and then use CD-R discs to burn redbook audio, right?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2000, 12:18 PM

Yep.
Old 11-10-2000, 02:26 PM

for your info...I use memorex cdrw platinums and they play on all my friends players. They're really good for testing your cd mixes on other systems. You can then go back and remix. But if you're sure you have your final mix then use cd-r.