Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-11-2003, 06:02 PM

Default Maximizing the CPU

Hi all,

Do you have suggestions on how to maximize the CPU using protools on a mac ? I am using a Powerbook Pismo G3 and at some point will upgrade to a G4, but in the meantime, I want to find ways to avoid the expensive upgrade. I keep getting the error message that I am running out of CPU and that I should delete some tracks or plugins. I am not using a whole lot of tracks or plugins . I have already changed the hardware settings , but that only got me so far. Someone mentioned to be about changing the fonts and tweaking certain settings in the set up, but this was in a passing conversation and my brain didn't retain any of the info. I am also considering upgrading the chip to a 500 Mhz G4 chip ( there are a few places who offer this service, but you have to send your computer to them ) Does anyone have any success stories about doing this or recommendations about who to do this with ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Trevor

[email protected]
Old 10-11-2003, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Maximizing the CPU

You need more cpu power bro. g3 isnt all that great, g4 500mghz..naw you need at least a 733 mghz mac, if you can get a dual processor model.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:10 PM

I suggest you hold off on upgrading your laptop. Save the money for a newer G4 if you can wait. Another option (not for everyone) is to pick up a used B&W G3 and pop a Powerlogix G3/800 or G3/900Mhz into it. When I upgraded my B&W Rev.2 G3/450 with a Powerlogix G3/800Mhz, I was able to run the "Dave C" test... got 15 tracks w/75 plug ins. Not a bad investment! I think I'm actually better off than some who are still running older G4s'

Good luck and have fun!
Old 10-12-2003, 08:06 AM

I would add my voice to them saying, don't do an upgrade on that particular machine. Save your money for a stronger machine - I think you'll be happier in the end. You'd probably have better upgrade options if you had a Tower (which will probably remain the case for a while), and if it is imperative you stay laptop, some sort of used G4 laptop would probably be money better spent.

Also, just to make sure: You're definitely not doing the audio on the built in drive right? That thing is darn slow - I think it rotates once every five minutes. And other things that may extend your laptop performance (and may be totally obvious, but I'll offer them, just in case):

- make sure virtual memory is off
- reduce number of colors for your display
- play with Extension manager and get the leanest/stablest set to run your programs
- Do you have a RAM bottleneck? That may be an inexpensive "upgrade" option
- Allocation of preferred memory for programs (I found with some audio apps too little memory was bad, but so was too much)

Anyway, hope that helps.

- Proxy
Old 10-12-2003, 11:18 PM

Thanks for the advice . My audio tracks are on the VST swappable drive - Protools is on the internal drive ( which I upgraded from the one it came with to a 40 gig 7600 rpm drive ). I am considering an external firewire drive instead of the swappable drive for storing the audio . Any advice about that ? The other things you recommended were not obvious, by the way. I don't think that I had paid attention to any of them thus far ( I am just getting started with protools ). Where do I find the virtual memory setting ? Also, are is there any site you can point to or PDF that would have all this configuration info in detail ? Thanks again !
Old 10-14-2003, 10:57 PM

Does anyone else have any experience upgrading the CPU on a powerbook pismo ?