Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2010, 12:47 PM

Default Fast Vocal Delay?

Well im mixing up a session that i was featured on, and when i go to add in the busses to my vocals i noticed a bit of a delay response between my vocals and the beat.

now note, i do rap quite fast, popularly compared to bone thugs or twista,

and its more of an art form to me, i have lyrics painted in pastels, with the mixing mixed with water color paint.

there not a very good combination, i just want my vocals on point.

is there anything im doing wroung?

i have 4 tracks for the verse.

verse, overs, Ad Libs, and "Jungles" aka back ground noise.

on verse track i have a reverb,
on overs i have a super tap 6 tap delay at 15. ips*this isnt causing the issue,*
adlibs, a reverb, and super tap 6 tap delay at 7.5 ips,*same as above*
Jungles, Reverb, and super tap 6 tap delay at 15, and a second delay at 7.5

the delay plug ins arent causing the issues, as i have bypassed them to test, still same thing.

its not TREMENDOUSLY noticeable, but if you listen closely you can hear a difference.

i used the digi time shift plug in to get it back to speed, but i just dont want to have to go through that every single time i do it. it took a while to figure out how fast to set it back and etc.

are there any conventional ways of fixing that? is it a pro tools problem? is it a computer/driver problem...

my computer still isnt 100 yet, its still glitchy at times. but for the most part its about 90%

i7 920 2.66,
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R,
6 GB Corsair XMS3 Ram,
WD 500GB 7200 rpm HD,
WD 750GB 7200 rpm HD,
MBox 2 Mini, PT LE 8,
Axiom 49 Midi Controller,
Akai MPK 61 Midi Controller,
AKG C-414 Microphone.

Wish List: 2 Months.
Digi 003 BLA Mod,

MBP i5, 2.53 Ghz, 4GB of ram, 320GB internal, 500GB External Firewire, Waves Mercury,

Dverb Test - 156

"How you gon' do an 'Intro' to an 'Outro'?"
-Steezy on "Goodbye" By Spliit
Old 01-27-2010, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Fast Vocal Delay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDK_Ent View Post
are there any conventional ways of fixing that? is it a pro tools problem? is it a computer/driver problem...
The quality and skill of the performance that goes in during record, is what comes out when you hit play.

You could probably spend hours and hours editing, or just track it again until you get it right.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-27-2010, 03:19 PM

What buffer setting are you recording at? Are there any plugins on the master track while recording? Maybe you just need to nudge the vocal track earlier. Keep in mind, if you want to nudge an audio region, it can't go earlier than time 00:00:000 so separate the region sometime before the first words.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-27-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDK_Ent View Post
the delay plug ins arent causing the issues, as i have bypassed them to test, still same thing.
Did you make them inactive or just mute them? There's a difference - if there's delay caused by the plugin, then muting the plugin won't eliminate the delay - you have to make the plugin inactive to hear the original track in it's proper sync. If you're saying you recorded the vocals in sync but they're playing back out of sync then there's a problem somewhere. Also, make sure you have the original vocal signal included in the plugin mix.

If you're trying to tighten up vocals that were recorded a little out of sync you might try using Elastic Audio - it can work wonders!!

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-27-2010, 03:42 PM

no i believe in tracking properly... getting the parts perfect before mixing or anything. my parts are flawless...

i just did another fast verse, mixed it down and mastered it, its not causing any sort of delay. i dont know its very strange, it seems like an isolated problem...

but i am getting this error.

Could not complete the open recent session 1 command because access violation occurred, unable to read location: 0x220f2000 at address: 0x781474a0 module: MSVCR80.Dll while translating Tracks.

It only happens the first or second time i try to open a session, then it goes through.

i7 920 2.66,
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R,
6 GB Corsair XMS3 Ram,
WD 500GB 7200 rpm HD,
WD 750GB 7200 rpm HD,
MBox 2 Mini, PT LE 8,
Axiom 49 Midi Controller,
Akai MPK 61 Midi Controller,
AKG C-414 Microphone.

Wish List: 2 Months.
Digi 003 BLA Mod,

MBP i5, 2.53 Ghz, 4GB of ram, 320GB internal, 500GB External Firewire, Waves Mercury,

Dverb Test - 156

"How you gon' do an 'Intro' to an 'Outro'?"
-Steezy on "Goodbye" By Spliit
Old 01-27-2010, 06:40 PM

What everyone is alluding to, is to different issues. If you have the buffer set to higher than 128 in the hardware menu, then you may be hearing a delay on your playback of the beats in your phones and that may be causing you to rap behind the beat.

The other issue may be the fact that some plug-ins create delay. ctrl +click on the black window below the fader in the mix window. 1 click will show the peak but the 2nd click will show any delay that has been created on the track by plug-ins. After you are sure that you want to keep those plugs, you can nudge the regions EARLIER by hitting "shift" in the edit menu and shifting them earlier the same number of samples that the track shows. Make sure that you note that shift, because if you change the plug you will change the delay.

And make sure you file a request with Avid for ADC so Pro Tools will some day do this for you automatically.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:13 PM

This happen to me. Its a on and off problem really, sometimes you have be moving an entire region back one sec. Some times after I recorded a session with Beenie Man, he would complain that he sounds off now when it was perfect after we recorded.

--

site: http://www.everythinglegit.com

Wah gwaan down deh..

System: Pro Tools LE, mbox 2, m-audio keyboard, HP DV7 laptop, Reaper 3 and alot of studios.