Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-05-2003, 01:13 PM

Default ? : isolation box for guitar amp

I'm going to be moving my home studio to a new apartment. The room my amps will be recorded in is a large, long room and I'm a bit worried about sound quality/etc. This is the main room of the apartment, so I can't go sticking foam on the walls, building traps, etc. Also, neighbors are issue, so I need the amp to sound decent without cranking it up to 11...

One idea is to build a sort of "isolation box" for the amp. I remember reading about this years ago: you build a big box, stick your amp and some mics in it, seal it up, and record.

Anyone out there done this? Am I on the right track or about to derail?
Reason 2.5
ProTools LE 6.1
Digi001
Old 12-05-2003, 02:37 PM

Default Re: ? : isolation box for guitar amp

Here's a bunch of information I found: http://www.amptone.com/#isocab

I'm still interested in hearing any first-hand reports, though.
Reason 2.5
ProTools LE 6.1
Digi001
Old 12-05-2003, 02:55 PM

Just buld it yourself! If you don't have saw's etc. just draw up a plan that your cab will fit in and buy the wood at a lumber yard and have them make the cuts for you.It's only a few more $.I would try to find used solid core doors,or new 3/4 Plywood. Use plenty of glue and screws to eliminate rattles and sqeeks.For the very best results build a box within a box,you will be able to crank it up great,and difussion indide the box's will help.I have a door on a hinge to adjust the volume I let out,but mine is in a very soundproof room to start with.
Good Luck
Ray
Old 12-05-2003, 03:00 PM

Alot depends on the particular rig you are trying to iso. Lower wattage (1-10w) amps are simple to iso, as they simply dont' get that loud, yet can be cranked to get the tone only cranking a tube amp gets. there are many out there now for jsut that purpose for aa few hundred dollars and up.

If you're trying toiso a 100w marshall and a 4x12 from your neighbor on the other side of a basic apt complex wall or floor, it's not going to happen. the physical vibrations of the cabinet will transmit through pretty much anything you build short of pouring concrete, whcih I doubt you're going to do. However a single 12" cab with a small wattage amp (under 15w) can be isolated in a number of ways. If you ahve some ectra closet space and an old futon mattress, you can do a good job, especially if the closet doen't connect directly another apt room,but is adjacent to anotehr closet, whcih is often the case.
Put the cab on the futon, with the remaining futon going along the wall the cab is facing. you can use clothing that normally hands ina closet to further deaden the space. You can also construct a plywood casing to go around the top, sides and rear, using acoustic insulation inside and out.

down and dirty, the most expensive part being the acoustic foam. don't cheap out and use generic stuff, it is highly flamable!!! (remember the R.I. club tragedy with Great White last year....)