Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2022, 07:14 AM

Default 2 Errors on M1 12.3 PT 2022.5

I have 2 errors that constantly interrupt my workflow.

1. After opening a session the spinning wheel is running (stuttering.)
when I restart my Mac and open the session again the session runs perfect. But not every time.

2. When I open a new plug in or moving plug ins to another slot. Sometimes the following error is coming:

"Pro Tools cannot communicate with the selected Playback Engine device. Please quit Pro Tools, reconnect the unit, and then relaunch Pro Tools."

But my 2 Apollos are working fine and after restarting PT (also without reconnecting the Apollos) everything works fine.

Has anyone similar experience or an idea?
Old 06-08-2022, 11:51 AM

Default Re: 2 Errors on M1 12.3 PT 2022.5

I'm having the same issue using a Focusrite Clarett interface on my new M1 Mini. This issue only started with the 2022.5 update. Did not have it with 2022.4. I haven't had any crashes per se, but I get the same error message now, and the Beach Ball of Death pops up very frequently on Saves as well as when loading and opening plugins.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:09 PM

good to know i'm not the only one.

I've had no problem dealing with a few bugs here and there in the past. I've been working with PT since the 90's :)

But in this case, the problem is random and unavoidable.
And I wonder if it comes from PT, OSX or the interfaces.

I saw that UA has a new update. I will try that and also update to OSX 12.4
maybe it will change something.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post

when I restart my Mac and open the session again the session runs perfect. But not every time.

2. When I open a new plug in or moving plug ins to another slot. Sometimes the following error is coming:

"Pro Tools cannot communicate with the selected Playback Engine device. Please quit Pro Tools, reconnect the unit, and then relaunch Pro Tools."

But my 2 Apollos are working fine and after restarting PT (also without reconnecting the Apollos) everything works fine.

imho I think this is a PRO TOOLS 2022.5 problem. I have deleted pro tools PREFS too.

I took out PA plugins now it crashes on all Izotopes Neutron 3 advance and ozone 9 advance then smartEQ3 says FATAL ERROR
then after taking all these AAX plugins out of pro tools audio folder it appeared that pro tools was gonna launch right after midi it CRASHED again NOT on any 3rd party plugin.

This is really hard wasting ones life away on a software that should at least let one launch pro tools in 2022.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post

imho I think this is a PRO TOOLS 2022.5 problem. I have deleted pro tools PREFS too.

I took out PA plugins now it crashes on all Izotopes Neutron 3 advance and ozone 9 advance then smartEQ3 says FATAL ERROR
then after taking all these AAX plugins out of pro tools audio folder it appeared that pro tools was gonna launch right after midi it CRASHED again NOT on any 3rd party plugin.

This is really hard wasting ones life away on a software that should at least let one launch pro tools in 2022.

Old 06-10-2022, 01:36 AM

To nightowls.

You seem to have merged your post on another thread here with the original post by Franklyn and made it sound like he is reporting the issue you are having. See the other thread to see the suggestions we made to try to solve your unrelated problem. It is usually considered against forum rules to post your problem across multiple threads. Franklyn is reporting a problem with connection to his playback engine device while you are reporting the inability to launch Protools due to a plugin issue. This is called "hijacking" a thread and makes it confusing for people reading or searching for solutions. I'm not criticizing you. I see you are relatively new here, so just wanted to help you get the help you are looking for.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1