Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2012, 03:46 PM

Default Cross Talk problem

I just recently noticed this cross talk issue while trying to make a show backing track with the click on one side and audio on the other. Even with tracks panned hard right or left they still bleed slightly into the other side during playback. The master track does not show this but I can hear it. Ive tried listening through several headphones and then bounced it down and listened on several different systems but there is still crosstalk. Obviously this wont work for a backing track, can't have the click playing through the PA even if it is subtle. Any ideas on how to fix this? Is this a problem in PT10 as well?
I am running pt 8.0.3 through a digi 003 on a mac pro.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Cross Talk problem

Unfortunately, having the click bleed from headphones into a mic is very common.

About the only effective solution is to get totally closed-back headphones and Super Glue them to your head so you get a perfect seal.

Somewhat less drastic...Closed-back headphones and slightly lower volume, and sometimes lowering the mic level...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM

Sorry i wasn't as clear as i should have been in my post. what I meant is that signal from one side is still coming through on the other even when panned 100%. Im making a backing track for a live performance and want the click on the left which will be sent to the drummer and the audio on the right which will be sent to the pa. Unfortunately despite panning the click 100% left it is still coming through on the right channel a little bit.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychothermia View Post
Sorry i wasn't as clear as i should have been in my post. what I meant is that signal from one side is still coming through on the other even when panned 100%. Im making a backing track for a live performance and want the click on the left which will be sent to the drummer and the audio on the right which will be sent to the pa. Unfortunately despite panning the click 100% left it is still coming through on the right channel a little bit.
And as bill points out, a common problem is bleed through for headphone click track to microphones. Do you have a drummer headphone connected? located anywhere near the drum mics? Headphones anyhwere else near a mic? Or is click in control room monitors bleeding through to the recording space. Try unarming all inputs while debugging this (and make sure you are not playing back a recorded audio track that you have already accidently captured the click on).

If not that and very low level then I'd suspect something else in the analog signal chain like poor channel isolation in headphone amps (or headphone amps with crossfeeds circuits turned on--all mine have that very good reason).

If you can't work it out yourself you'll need to clearly describe the whole signal chain and how exactly you are listening to this and hearing the problem.

Darryl
Old 12-30-2012, 06:48 PM

Its not bleed. Even with the click track soloed, panned hard left, nothing on the master bus I still hear it on the right side. I have tried listening through monitors (with the left one off) 2 sets of headphones both directly into the Digi003 and through a rolls headphone amp. I have bounced it down and tried playing back through 2 different computers and smartphones...still the same problem. Pro Tools (or something else) just isn't separating the channels 100%.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 PM

post a screenshot of your session mix window somewhere (photo bucket)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 PM

Well I did some more experimenting and found that when using the factory default click sound the problem doesn't exist. For some reason the other sounds especially Marimba 2 (my favorite) produces the problem. Really odd.
Thanks for the help!