Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 05-18-2024, 02:19 PM

Default MIDI Transform AAX Plug In

For years I have been wishing to be able to use my Eucon controller faders to control MIDI CCs for virtual instruments.

With the addition of MIDI plugins, I was hoping we'd get a plug in to do that.

Set up a MIDI track, route it to a VI, but take the volume CC7 and transform it to another CC. Then when the fader on the control surface moved it could control the transformed CC to the VI for expression.

Anybody know if there are any 3rd party plugs to do that yet, or any other ways to accomplish.

Dave
Old 05-18-2024, 04:01 PM

Default Re: MIDI Transform AAX Plug In

What are you using? If it's just an S1 or even just the Avid Control app, I just suggest getting another piece of hardware for the CCs. Loads of companies make small fade controllers (Korg nano is most small, cheap and infamous). I use a Novation Launch Control XL, which gives me and additional 24 knobs for Synth controls, as well as 8 decent-length faders.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2024.3.1 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 05-19-2024, 05:36 AM

Thanks -

I am using the Artist series.

I have considered adding another device or potentially even modifying the faders on my Akai MPK88 (as they are on the wrong side and short throw).

But the ergonomics of my set up would be perfect to have my right hand on the keys and my left hand on the 4 faders on the Avid Artist control to add expression when tracking.

If time was not the precious commodity it is I'd jump through all the hoops to and develop it myself. But with MIDI plugs now I don't expect it to be long till what I am looking for comes along.

Dave
Old 05-19-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshonk View Post
For years I have been wishing to be able to use my Eucon controller faders to control MIDI CCs for virtual instruments.

With the addition of MIDI plugins, I was hoping we'd get a plug in to do that.

Set up a MIDI track, route it to a VI, but take the volume CC7 and transform it to another CC. Then when the fader on the control surface moved it could control the transformed CC to the VI for expression.

Anybody know if there are any 3rd party plugs to do that yet, or any other ways to accomplish.

Dave
Still to this day this isn't possible in Pro Tools. The only DAW that can do this is Cubase, via Quick Controls. It's always staggered me that with Avid owning the S series, Artist series. Pro Tools and the Eucon protocol, it is only a third party DAW that offers this pretty basic functionality. Having automatable control of CCs would be a big step forward.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 05-19-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshonk View Post
Thanks -

I am using the Artist series.

I have considered adding another device or potentially even modifying the faders on my Akai MPK88 (as they are on the wrong side and short throw).

But the ergonomics of my set up would be perfect to have my right hand on the keys and my left hand on the 4 faders on the Avid Artist control to add expression when tracking.

If time was not the precious commodity it is I'd jump through all the hoops to and develop it myself. But with MIDI plugs now I don't expect it to be long till what I am looking for comes along.

Dave
Yeah, I used to have that unit as well. That's when I ended up getting the Novation for MIDI controls. There are a few other options out there. Check out vi-control.com. They have threads and threads about this.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2024.3.1 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 05-20-2024, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Still to this day this isn't possible in Pro Tools. The only DAW that can do this is Cubase, via Quick Controls. It's always staggered me that with Avid owning the S series, Artist series. Pro Tools and the Eucon protocol, it is only a third party DAW that offers this pretty basic functionality. Having automatable control of CCs would be a big step forward.
In Logic this is very easy to do, too

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 05-20-2024, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post
In Logic this is very easy to do, too
Great, I wasn't aware. Since when? What's the method?

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 05-21-2024, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Great, I wasn't aware. Since when? What's the method?
since Logic existed ;-)... in the socalled Tansform window you can convert any event into any other, scaling, multiplicate, divide etc etc, very powerful. And for a few years also with Midi realtime plugins (Transformer, Scaler, Scripter, Modifier and more)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 05-21-2024, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post
since Logic existed ;-)... in the socalled Tansform window you can convert any event into any other, scaling, multiplicate, divide etc etc, very powerful. And for a few years also with Midi realtime plugins (Transformer, Scaler, Scripter, Modifier and more)
Oh sorry, we're at cross purposes - I was talking about CC control over Eucon.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM