Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-10-2020, 12:20 PM

Default Difficulty Creating Stem

Hello, I am on Pro Tools 2020.11 with a 2017 iMac Pro with Catalina 10.15.7. I have an 18-Core Intel Xeon W with 256 GB of ram.

I am basically doing stems as summed stereo tracks that represent different parts of the mix. For instance I recorded a Drum Stem with no Issues in this session. The tracks have Eq and /or compression, but the reverb will be attached to the stem track.

Let me repeat I did a drum stem with no problems in this session - I recorded 8 tracks onto a stereo track/stem.

But Now when I try recording 3 guitar tracks onto one, summed stereo stem track,
the guitar part is musically off time and delayed. This could happen if I had effects on the Master bus. But everything is made inactive on the Master channel.

These guitars do have the CLA Guitars (Waves) Plugin, which is thick in its interface and includes almost everything in its interface, like reverb,compression, EQ and Delay (and More).

So I made all these plugins inactive but I still get the bad Off-Time Playback. I even pulled out of the stem idea just to play the original mix to make sure I wasn't missing anything. The guitars play back beautifully in real time.

I do appreciate any help,
Thanks,
Frank Bright
Old 12-10-2020, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Difficulty Creating Stem

Can you elaborate a bit on your routing?

Do route the output of the individual tracks via Internal Bus Paths to an Aux Input Track (functioning as the Audio SubGroup aka Stem) and then bounce the output of that Aux Input Track?

Or do you route the individual Tracks to a new Audio Track to record the Stem as part of you Session?
Either way, do you get the latency when playback in Input Monitoring Mode?
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 12-10-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightbelt View Post
...the guitar part is musically off time and delayed...
Re-do (don't just check) your routings. Remove (don't just bypass) all plugs. If it works now, then add back plugs 1 at a time, testing as you go.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-10-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightbelt View Post
Hello, I am on Pro Tools 2020.11 with a 2017 iMac Pro with Catalina 10.15.7. I have an 18-Core Intel Xeon W with 256 GB of ram.

I am basically doing stems as summed stereo tracks that represent different parts of the mix. For instance I recorded a Drum Stem with no Issues in this session. The tracks have Eq and /or compression, but the reverb will be attached to the stem track.

Let me repeat I did a drum stem with no problems in this session - I recorded 8 tracks onto a stereo track/stem.

But Now when I try recording 3 guitar tracks onto one, summed stereo stem track,
the guitar part is musically off time and delayed. This could happen if I had effects on the Master bus. But everything is made inactive on the Master channel.

These guitars do have the CLA Guitars (Waves) Plugin, which is thick in its interface and includes almost everything in its interface, like reverb,compression, EQ and Delay (and More).

So I made all these plugins inactive but I still get the bad Off-Time Playback. I even pulled out of the stem idea just to play the original mix to make sure I wasn't missing anything. The guitars play back beautifully in real time.

I do appreciate any help,
Thanks,
Frank Bright
Is Automatic Delay Compensation (ADC) enabled?
Old 12-10-2020, 05:45 PM

Thanks for your ideas... I had to walk away from it for a while and get a break.

I am actually creating a new stereo audio track and am recording the guitar parts to that new stereo track via a stereo bus and it then becomes the stem.

So the stem is actually a summing recording. This is for stem mastering.

I’m familiar with the auto delay compensation and could not find it lately for some stupid reason. I’ll check again for that...Thanks for helping,....Frank B.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:23 PM

OK an update....I DO have the ADC enabled and Low Latency Monitoring enabled as well.

(One Thing to note - these guitar parts were recorded mono and when I put the CLA Guitars Wave plugin on them, it converted them to stereo tracks. But with the plugins gone, they converted back to mono again)

I have cleared ANY and ALL plugins from the (now mono again) tracks and from the Mastering buss. I am recording one electric guitar via Bus 29 and the other via bus 30 to a stereo audio track via bus 29-30.

It's getting there but the audio-timing is still off. Thank heavens it still plays right. I'm open to any ideas and Thanks,
Frank B.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:34 PM

A couple of things to try...
1. disable low latency mode and see if that helps.
2. on your record track, put it into input monitoring or record-arm and then ctrl-cmd click on the cmp field in the mix window; it should turn blue. This should force delay compensation on the record track.

I'm not sure if these things will help, but are worth trying.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:39 PM

Thanks Scotty, but it didn’t help to yield any different results.

One thing to mention-I have been using the Raven MTI dual system for working pro tools and I have the console and everything.

I don’t know if that has made any difference - I don’t work that software too much when mixing gets serious but I’m trying to get it in my workflow lately. For this project, I have used It some but I backed out of it recently to get more serious .. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:09 PM

I am asking this with the question in my head -should I be making this a new thread? ...this one seems to be sinking a bit, but here goes:

One important thing I did to the project recently, was change it from 24-bit to 32-bit float.

Would that have any effect on what I'm trying to do, ..ie, summing 2 guitar tracks?