Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2019, 02:17 PM

Default Reduce Noise or Ask for a new Recording?

I'm currently facing a dilemma with a client where I must either work with a bad recording or ask for a new one. I usually run my own recording sessions however due to distance between the client and I, the supplied recordings have been full of noise and levels are not ideal. Considering how far along in the timeline since the start of the job, would it be wise to attempt to fix the problems post-recording through EQ/Noise gating, and mixing etc...or should I simply coach the client into improving his recording?

As for the mixing, the different takes he took all contain different amounts of noise (a NIGHTMARE to listen to and work with)...thus there will be different EQ settings and harsher mixing to make it work...any tips on what I should do or the best way to mix it out?
Old 10-31-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Reduce Noise or Ask for a new Recording?

I'd ask the client.

"Is it your preference that I mangle these tracks and charge you for that service, or do you prefer to provide usable tracks?"